GCN component cable question

Talk about any Nintendo Consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

oopsmyseamandied
MegaDeath

GCN component cable question

Post#1 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:11 pm

Will these be enabled if I use a selector box? I know the cabling is very proprietary, that's why they only have the video plugs.

I'm wondering...would the signal be disabled by bridging it through a multi-input box with a standard component cable running from the box to the TV?
Last edited by oopsmyseamandied on Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RiilihShimo
stalker

Re: GCN component cable question

Post#2 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:12 pm

I honestly have no idea. I am of no help.
Remember 9/9/99 forever. Keep dreaming.
08/16/11[<3]

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lets-brin ... 6857503202

oopsmyseamandied
MegaDeath

Post#3 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:17 pm

No worries, it's a head scratcher. Unfortunately, it would be an expensive thing to try blind. Not so much the cost of the cable, that's just a given.

But, setting everything up only to find it doesn't work...well, I'd rather plug and unplug constantly if that's what it takes to run the cable. That means, alot of useless spending if it doesn't work.

oopsmyseamandied
MegaDeath

Post#4 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:26 pm

I'm also wondering about modifying one of those cables to a male-male, to use between the box and the TV.

I know it's heresy and they cost a ton, but I have one I scored for five bucks some time ago. So in that sense it would be a cheap thing.

Then the question would be, would normal component video be disabled?

:?:

brourke228
Game Server Admin

Post#5 » Tue May 17, 2011 12:12 pm

If youre asking whether you can use a normal a/v switch for component video, then yeah it should work. All component cables are, are standard RCA cables you use with composite video, RCA audio, etc. Only thing thats different is the signal going through them.
Regards,
brourke228

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post#6 » Tue May 17, 2011 3:01 pm

try: game cube + component cable > xcm 1080p mega cool vga box (yes, they actually named it that) > vga cable > hdtv

its not cheap, BUT its as hd as you can get a cube
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

oopsmyseamandied
MegaDeath

Post#7 » Sun May 22, 2011 1:08 am

Thanks guys! I'll know soon if it works with a standard component switchbox.

I think it will work fine. After learning more, it seems the plug/socket to the GC digital port is what is so weird about that cable. Once you get past the plug, all is standard. Apparently the plug has an unusual converter element. Seems to make sense...isn't component video analog? If so, digital --> analog would need that.

craziestrufis
Graffiti Grind

Post#8 » Sun May 22, 2011 7:58 am

oopsmyseamandied wrote:Thanks guys! I'll know soon if it works with a standard component switchbox.

I think it will work fine. After learning more, it seems the plug/socket to the GC digital port is what is so weird about that cable. Once you get past the plug, all is standard. Apparently the plug has an unusual converter element. Seems to make sense...isn't component video analog? If so, digital --> analog would need that.

the only cords i youse is monster cords u pay a bit for them but dam u get a sweet pitcher your eyes will go like this :shock:

oopsmyseamandied
MegaDeath

Post#9 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:36 am

craziestrufis wrote:
oopsmyseamandied wrote:Thanks guys! I'll know soon if it works with a standard component switchbox.

the only cords i youse is monster cords u pay a bit for them but dam u get a sweet pitcher your eyes will go like this :shock:

I agree, in terms of analog cables. But for straight-up male-male analog cables, I like Audioquest best. Especially if you use long ones.

Well, I can't seem to find my GCN cables. They will turn up. It's just a matter of randomly finding them while looking for something else. Meanwhile, I think I will just have to use my S-Video upscaler.

drunkn ghost
fire

Post#10 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:15 am

I use a GC component cable in my setup but I don't have one of those input switch boxes to test it with. However if you think about it why should it matter if you are running through a selector box? Even though the cable is a proprietary it is still just a cable outputting a 480i signal. Any weird Nintendo magic it is doing is being done in the cable so by the time the signal comes out it is 480i. So if it's just a cable spitting out a 480i signal how would the signal tell a difference between being plugged into a T.V. or selector box?

I got sick of switching cables and only had HDMI inputs left on my T.V. so I got a converter box. It does s-video and composite to HDMI. I use it for my Saturn (s-video) and Genesis (composite). I searched for awhile and this was the best one I could find that wasn't way overpriced.

http://www.amazon.com/Composite-S-video-Audio-HDMI-Converter/dp/B003NS0UUQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1300814494&sr=8-4

I am extremely happy with it. You don't really notice any better of a picture but it solved my problem. My T.V. does say the signal is 720 at 60Hz when you run it through the box though.

They have those converters for any input to output combination you want. I just went with that one because it was exactly what I needed and the price was great.