NTSC-J on PAL console seems to run slowly. Please help!

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

xEden
noob

NTSC-J on PAL console seems to run slowly. Please help!

Post#1 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:01 pm

Heya

So, I'm trying to play my original Guilty Gear X on my PAL DC, but the game seems to be running slower than normal.

I've downloaded the game ISO and burned it to a DVD to test it out, and the backup ran just fine.

I'm using the utopia bootdisc.

How can I solve this problem?

Thanks

Captain Dreamcast
Developer

Re: NTSC-J on PAL console seems to run slowly. Please help!

Post#2 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:14 pm

xEden wrote:burned it to a DVD to test it out,

Huh? O_o

xEden wrote:Heya

So, I'm trying to play my original Guilty Gear X on my PAL DC, but the game seems to be running slower than normal.

You're game is running with 50 Hz instead of 60. That makes it about 1/6 slower than the original, right?. This is a common PAL issue when trying to play NTSC games.

Sounds like the CDI you downloaded is already PALpatched. If you want to play your originals in 60Hz as well, you could either do a hardware region mod or use a bootdisc.
For Great Justice!

xEden
noob

Post#3 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:36 pm

Captain Dreamcast wrote:
xEden wrote:burned it to a DVD to test it out,

Huh? O_o

xEden wrote:Heya

You're game is running with 50 Hz instead of 60. That makes it about 1/6 slower than the original, right?. This is a common PAL issue when trying to play NTSC games.

Sounds like the CDI you downloaded is already PALpatched. If you want to play your originals in 60Hz as well, you could either do a hardware region mod or use a bootdisc.

Alright, and what bootdisc would allow me to do that? I will do the region mod, but only when my modchip arrives as well.

Also, would the VGA box resolve this issue as well? I'm just curious.

Thanks

And I did mean CD. DVDs on Dreamcast would be an awesome stunt.

Captain Dreamcast
Developer

Post#4 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:42 pm

Try this one:

Code: Select all

http://snesorama.us/board/showthread.php?t=6203

I think it automatically makes imports run at "normal speed".

As for the VGA box... This one will always run at "normal speed", so there shouldn't be a problem using that, as long as GGX is compatible. Is it? I don't remember :?
For Great Justice!

xEden
noob

Post#5 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:55 pm

Captain Dreamcast wrote:Try this one:

Code: Select all

http://snesorama.us/board/showthread.php?t=6203

I think it automatically makes imports run at "normal speed".

As for the VGA box... This one will always run at "normal speed", so there shouldn't be a problem using that, as long as GGX is compatible. Is it? I don't remember :?

Alright thanks, I'll try that out.

Even so, I think I'll just stop being lazy, and I will do the region mod, and won't order the modchip at all. Nevertheless, I will try the disc out.

Cheers