Make modem send out dial tone

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Favrenation
Outrun

Make modem send out dial tone

Post#1 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:49 am

DreamcastTM has found out so AT commands to send out a dialtone 2.5 seconds after it tries to connect:
I recently discovered a feature that's part of the command set of some voice modems that enables it to produce tones. The latter is of interest to us since the US dial-tone and others are a combination of two frequencies (440Hz and 350Hz in the US).

Below is an ordered list of AT commands that initialize the modem, produce a dialtone for 2.5 seconds and answers the call. To check if the "AT+VTS" command is supported, or to get the parameter value ranges supported by it, use "AT+VTS=?"

# resets the modem
ATZE1

# puts the modem into voice mode
AT+FCLASS=8

# opens the connection
AT+VLS=1

# produces the tone
AT+VTS=[440,350,255]

# closes the connection so it can answer
ATH

# answers the connection
ATA

* Usage: The first two parameters are the desired frequencies. The third parameter is the duration of the tone and is the desired time (in milliseconds) / 10. If the square brackets do not work, try using "{ }" backets as an alternative.

* Note: Some voice modems use "#" instead of the "+" character for the VLS and VTS commands. If the modem is returning "ERROR" after sending either command, try replacing the character.

from http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/php ... 9950#79950
PS2 Online Gaming

brourke228
Game Server Admin

Re: Make modem send out dial tone

Post#2 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:45 am

Good find! I'm gonna see if I can get this to work.
Regards,
brourke228

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#3 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:52 pm

I'll be watching this. I'm in the basement with my Ubuntu box right now doing the Ryochan section of the Linux guide out. This would be a good time to see if magic can happen once again for the DC.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Kaizoku ChaosStar
core

Post#4 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:48 pm

I've been curious about this for some time now. Does the Dreamcast internet dial-up take up the phone line so that nobody else can call while logged on?
Connection! Hooray!!!

Dr. Pariolo
Pretty Fly for a White Guy

Post#5 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:08 pm

Yes it does. Just like any dial up modem afaik.

Kaizoku ChaosStar
core

Post#6 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:44 am

Dr. Pariolo wrote:Yes it does. Just like any dial up modem afaik.

In the tutorials you are told to type "1" in the phone line section. That shouldn't occupy the regular phone line. Besides I've tried to connect with my phone number with and without any of the tutorial configs. It says the phone line is occupied and that I should try again later. And no, nobody was calling at the moment.
Connection! Hooray!!!

Dr. Pariolo

Post#7 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:33 am

Well back when i was using dial up on dc, at least with the european version, when someone was connected with it and you took the phone, you would hear that horrible modem sound. Same if someone was trying to call you. Instead of hearing the voice mail or whatever, he would hear that sound.

TeamXlink
Rank 9

Post#8 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:44 pm

It only takes up the phone line if your actually using Dial-up, if your using a PC-DC Server it doesn't affect the phone line.

Dr. Pariolo

Post#9 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:04 pm

Oh yeah. If using a PC DC server its fine. My bad forgot the topic was about that, was thinking about plain dial up.

Neoblast
Developer

Post#10 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:40 pm

If you have a dsl subscription you could try to use microfilters in your phones so that it does not occupy the line, I usually do that when i expect a call and want to play using dial-up.
Nice try you fool! lol BBQ!