HKT - 3020 (After Nov. 2000) Problems

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Kronus980
lithium
Dreamcast Games you play Online: None

HKT - 3020 (After Nov. 2000) Problems

Post by Kronus980 »

I know models made before the date stated above can read burned discs, is there any way to play them on models after that date?

And if I have Phantasy Star, original copy, can I play online with burned copies? :D I'm new to owning a Dreamcast, so any help would be appreciated.

Favrenation
Outrun
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Phantasy Star Online Ver. 2, Quake 3 Arena, 4x4 Evo, Maximum Pool

Re: HKT - 3020 (After Nov. 2000) Problems

Post by Favrenation »

No one has ever found a Dreamcast that can't play burnt CD's. You are probably safe. Just try to and burn a game a see if it works. That's the only thing I can say. If you need help burning a game just post back.
PS2 Online Gaming

TeamXlink
Rank 9

Post by TeamXlink »

Favrenation wrote:No one has ever found a Dreamcast that can't play burnt CD's. You are probably safe. Just try to and burn a game a see if it works. That's the only thing I can say. If you need help burning a game just post back.
Yeah, I read somewhere that the "Dreamcast made after... can't play backups" was a rumor started by Sega.

Gary_b
Quantic Dream
Dreamcast Games you play Online: all of them

Post by Gary_b »

i'm not 100% sure that it is a rumor started by Sega, or if it's even a rumor at all? it sure does seem like every one i know can play burned games. i have owned a shit load of DC's and all of mine play CD-rs. i wish someone with a questionable model would try it so we could put this to rest.

Kronus980
lithium

Post by Kronus980 »

Sorry about the late post. Well, apparently to me, it's a fact :/ They wouldn't work, but I put in an origonal copy, and it worked. So I have to mod it or what?

Favrenation
Outrun
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Phantasy Star Online Ver. 2, Quake 3 Arena, 4x4 Evo, Maximum Pool

Post by Favrenation »

maybe your not burning it right. That is usually the main problem for people.
PS2 Online Gaming

Gary_b
Quantic Dream
Dreamcast Games you play Online: all of them

Post by Gary_b »

Kronus980 wrote:Sorry about the late post. Well, apparently to me, it's a fact :/ They wouldn't work, but I put in an origonal copy, and it worked. So I have to mod it or what?
i agree with Favrenation, it is far more likely that you made a mistake burning it. or perhaps you didn't burn a self booting image?

Favrenation
Outrun

Post by Favrenation »

Heres my favorite tutorial: Burn with disc juggler:

http://psopalace.schtserv.com/downloads/dj4_demo.zip

Then hit new then click Burn CD and DVD images then do the following:
1. Mount the .CDI file
2. Go to the advanced tab
3. Click the down box and set mode to MODE 2
4. Click RAW WRITE
5. Set write speed at lowest possible
6. Hit burn and within 20-30minutes you should have the disc ready

Most games are auto-boot(meaning they start without having to use another disc) I have not had a game that isn't auto boot and I have tried a lot of games
Crazy Taxi
Quake 3
PSO PAL V2
Typing of the Dead
Sonic Adventure 2
Soul Calibur
Half-life
Sonic Shuffle

All these games I have tried and I can confirm that they should start with out the other disc(I don't even know what the other disc is called because I have never run into the problem)

ENJOY.

I did not make this but I follow this and it works!
PS2 Online Gaming

Kronus980
lithium

Post by Kronus980 »

Eeeeh???? So ANY dreamcast can read burned games?

Favrenation
Outrun

Post by Favrenation »

Well there has never been a documented Dreamcast that couldn't. So try try the guide from one of the games in our download section. They almost all selfboot and they are greatly made by the dreamcast gods Tux the Wise, Vasilly, and Captain Dreamcast.
PS2 Online Gaming