N64 recompiles

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.
zenithmd
shadow
Dreamcast Games you play Online: phantasy star online

N64 recompiles

Post by zenithmd »

Now that their is a universal n64 to c static recompilater Is it possible that we could see the entire n64 library ported to dreamcast sometime in the future?

Stringer_bell
lithium

Re: N64 recompiles

Post by Stringer_bell »

Ogre Battle 64, that would be amazing to see it show up on the Dreamcast!

niZ
shadow

Post by niZ »

As much as I'd love to see cool ports come to the Dreamcast I don't think it's possible from what I've been reading from the Super Mario 64 port post. Super Mario 64 barely runs without sound. I think RAM is the issue here. Not a developer but maybe one of them can chime in and explain it better.

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post by dubcity »

I don't think a native N64 port of any game is a problem if their is decompiled source code. CD Audio tracks can be used to save ram. I don't think any of the devs here want to bring the potential wrath of Nintendo down on themselves. There is a native port of Doom 64 being made. But after that it might be a while.

Ryo_Hazuki
killer

Post by Ryo_Hazuki »

I think it's more difficult than it might seem, even the port of the Wipeout game, from PS1, seems to have encountered problems.

Wombat
Vagabond

Post by Wombat »

From what I have gathered from the Mario 64 port; to get things running smoothly someone with experience with the AICA Sound Driver is needed with optimizing the code. Besides that the codebase is there to pretty much support 'any' N64 game.

Of course porting any code to Dreamcast involves serious work, otherwise for sure during the Dreamcast heyday we would have gotten a fair share of straight N64 ports ;)

Nevertheless exciting times ahead with all these source codes / decompilations becoming available.

galaxygod
blackout!

Post by galaxygod »

If nobody touched the ocarina of time decomp I don’t see a lot of other games coming over, still would love to see ocarina of time though haha

Esppiral
MegaDeath

Post by Esppiral »

The Mario 64 port was abandoned, so I don't think anyone is interested in touching any other N64 port for the Dreamcast sadly

TechFragments
noob

Post by TechFragments »

I think what the OP is referring to is the latest work from N64recomp: https://github.com/N64Recomp/N64Recomp
This could go 2 ways, but optimally the graphics engine that they are using would need to go through opengl 1.1, then an input translation; ie, alot of glue logic. It could be done, but caching is a main concern for anything applicable. We would need a low latency cache either through extended audio ram or extended cpu ram; which most are not willing or capable of doing. At most, the perfected solution could achieve 85% efficiency, universally. Low demand titles could run at 100%, but its alot of unpaid work for the few of us.

moon.sarito1
undertow
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Nenhum

Post by moon.sarito1 »

It still surprises me that the port of Super Mario 64 for the DSi runs considerably better than the one for the Dreamcast:

DSi Port : https://youtu.be/JIr426_kyew

Dreamcast Port : https://youtu.be/I7h36zaP0J8

I'm really curious why this is because the Nintendo DSi is a much weaker console than the Dreamcast.