Reproductions

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Danny Boy
shadow

Re: Reproductions

Post#21 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:11 am

OlivusPrime wrote:With the VA0 and VA1 model consoles being able to play CD-Rs right out of the box, the Dreamcast is maybe one of the easiest consoles to produce reproduction games for.

Obviously there are two sides to reproductions - sometimes they offer a great way to add rare and high-priced games to your collection, but other times people will try and flog them off as originals to unsuspecting buyers.

What are your experiences with reproductions, or do you have any strong opinions on the matter?

I myself recently got a reproduction copy of Yu Suzuki Game Works from the online store Nights into Dream, who do both Dreamcast and Sega CD reproductions. I figured that a legit copy of the game is so rare and pricey (not to mention that the book it comes with would probably sit on my shelf gathering dust) that it was a good idea, and the games from this store seemed decent quality, not to mention region free.

Unfortunately when it arrived today, the print quality on the box art and disc was severely lacking, and the CD seems to be of a low quality. It makes some nasty noises upon booting up the console and sometimes never even loads the game, despite my Dreamcast being fine with all my authentic games and Verbatim CD-Rs. I won't be buying from them again and I'll investigate to see if a better reproduction can be found elsewhere.

That’s very disappointing. I’ve seen Nightsintodream’s site previously and was tempted as it looked decent enough apart from no attempt to replicate manuals. Won’t be tempted now.

OlivusPrime
dirty sailor

Post#22 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:23 am

Danny Boy wrote:
OlivusPrime wrote:With the VA0 and VA1 model consoles being able to play CD-Rs right out of the box, the Dreamcast is maybe one of the easiest consoles to produce reproduction games for.

Obviously there are two sides to reproductions - sometimes they offer a great way to add rare and high-priced games to your collection, but other times people will try and flog them off as originals to unsuspecting buyers.

What are your experiences with reproductions, or do you have any strong opinions on the matter?

I myself recently got a reproduction copy of Yu Suzuki Game Works from the online store Nights into Dream, who do both Dreamcast and Sega CD reproductions. I figured that a legit copy of the game is so rare and pricey (not to mention that the book it comes with would probably sit on my shelf gathering dust) that it was a good idea, and the games from this store seemed decent quality, not to mention region free.

Unfortunately when it arrived today, the print quality on the box art and disc was severely lacking, and the CD seems to be of a low quality. It makes some nasty noises upon booting up the console and sometimes never even loads the game, despite my Dreamcast being fine with all my authentic games and Verbatim CD-Rs. I won't be buying from them again and I'll investigate to see if a better reproduction can be found elsewhere.

That’s very disappointing. I’ve seen Nightsintodream’s site previously and was tempted as it looked decent enough apart from no attempt to replicate manuals. Won’t be tempted now.

In all fairness they swiftly offered a refund when I told them it wasn't to my liking, and this plus their quick dispatch time makes their customer service better than a few other reproduction services I've tried. But I would expect anyone wanting to provide high quality reproductions to use high quality graphics for the printed materials, and certainly for them to use good CD-Rs such as Taiyo Yudens or Verbatims, so for it to be a temperamental Ritek is particularly troublesome.

OlivusPrime
dirty sailor

Post#23 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:37 pm

Well I thought I was done with reproductions, and had received a refund for my Retro Games Reproduction order through a PayPal case when it wasn't dispatched and I didn't receive any communication from the seller, but lo and behold, my order from them randomly showed up today.

And I thought the Nights into Dream reproduction was bad... This one has its cover art split over two pieces of paper for some reason, terrible print quality (including rear cover art so blurry I might as well be looking at it with cataracts), and, most bafflingly, a disc with the reflective portions of a real GD-ROM printed onto it as part of the matte disc art, which just looks way off. The disc is a non-Taiyo Yuden CMC.

Like I say, I had already written off buying reproductions as I can make better ones than most of those on sale myself (or simply rely on my SD adapter), but this is the final nail in the coffin for me and a warning for anyone else looking at Retro Games Reproduction.

Stringer_bell
lithium

Post#24 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:37 pm

I actually bought a reproduction of Metal Gear and Little Ralph on bleem from Nights Into Dream and liked the quality a fair bit. Fits in rather well with my collection.

Piers
shadow

Post#25 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:08 pm

I've always kinda hated how, even when I try, my sharpie titles look awful.

I bought one of those lightscribe drives awhile ago thinking it would be a step up on the sharpie but I legit never used it :(

Waterfaller
noob

Post#26 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:51 pm

I use Verbatims myself and haven't had any problems with them.

For those larger games that need a 99min CD, I've seen those CD-Rs with a banana logo online, but I've been told that they're VERY poor quality!

Return to “Lounge”