Dreamcast/controller potential power issue with internal rumble mod

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Dreamcazman
fire

Dreamcast/controller potential power issue with internal rumble mod

Post#1 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:55 am

Hey all, I have recently done an internal rumble mod on a StrikerDC controller. For more information, please see my Instructable...

https://www.instructables.com/The-Ultim ... DC-With-I/

For the most part the mod works great, but after further testing, I found that if I have a VMU also inserted, I sometimes get a pop-up message during a game saying the VMU has been removed. This doesn't seem to happen with every game though, some games it's really bad, basically making it unplayable.

I'm definitely not an expert when it comes to the Dreamcast so I'm hoping someone here can provide some insight. I figure the issue is caused by a lack of power (due to extra motor) because if I remove the VMU, I can play the game with rumble no problems. Also if I disable rumble, games play fine with the VMU inserted.

If there is a way to fix this, I'd love to know, thanks.

Dreamcazman
fire

Re: Dreamcast/controller potential power issue with internal rumble mod

Post#2 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:46 am

Small update - I tried using my old Nexus 4x VMU (no screen) & it works fine with the rumble enabled, so the issue only seems to be with official VMUs. I'm assuming they need more power due to the screen perhaps.

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#3 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:31 am

I don't have a solution for you, but you're definitely not the first person I've seen have a similar issue with rumble on the Striker pad. It definitely sounds like a power draw issue and probably a design flaw with the controller.
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast

Dreamcazman
fire

Post#4 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:35 pm

SEGA RPG FAN wrote:I don't have a solution for you, but you're definitely not the first person I've seen have a similar issue with rumble on the Striker pad. It definitely sounds like a power draw issue and probably a design flaw with the controller.

Thanks for replying.

I haven't come across anyone having issues with the Striker pad & I'm not sure if there is a difference between it & a genuine controller. I never had any issues before using a VMU & rumble in their normal state so the only difference is the extra motor maybe just put it over the limit. I can't really test this with a genuine controller unless I leave the motors hanging loose.

Dreamcazman
fire

Post#5 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:34 am

Another update - for the hell of it, I pulled apart a VMU & just inserted the board (no screen, speaker, etc) into the controller & it still has power issues, so removing those parts didn't make a difference. I can only assume the official VMU's need more power than the Nexus one.

Unless someone can provide more info (which I would appreciate), I'm not going to spend any more time on this. I've also just ordered a Brook Wingman SD, so will probably use that & an Xbox One controller going forward (I hate cables, lol). It supports rumble & has VMU memory built-in.

Dreamcazman
fire

Post#6 » Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:12 am

My WIngman finally turned up & it is amazing! There's something surreal in using an Xbox One controller on a DC. It's a far better controller than the StrikerDC or even the original controller, I actually feel like I'm in control now. Even better, everything is wireless!

Highly recommended.

DarkSynbios
DC-Talk Addict

Post#7 » Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:33 am

I have same issue with my StrikerDC controller. When the rumble pack is in and start to rumble, then vmu restart and controller get disconnected a bit. I spoke with Retro Fighters team and told me they know about this and they will send me new controller.

Dreamcazman
fire

Post#8 » Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:41 pm

DarkSynbios wrote:I spoke with Retro Fighters team and told me they know about this and they will send me new controller.

Thanks, so it may be a fault of the controller then.

I've had the Striker for a little over a year now, but I've hit them up, let's see what they say.

Dreamcazman
fire

Post#9 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:53 pm

Thanks for the tip regarding Retro Fighters, they will be sending me a replacement controller! Never in a million years would I think they would do that, given it's over a year old now.

Let's see how this one goes.