Good DC Horror Games? (and 2D games too maybe?)

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Londinium
dirty sailor

Good DC Horror Games? (and 2D games too maybe?)

Post#1 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:36 am

Are there any good horror games on DC? Well, I mean, there are, I just wanna know your recommendations.

Also wondering if there are any good 2D platformers available too.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Dreamtastic
lithium

Re: Good DC Horror Games? (and 2D games too maybe?)

Post#2 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:27 pm

There are quite a few. D2 is my favorite on the DC, it combines jrpg elements with survival horror and is on 4 gd roms that is a showcase for the DC. The Resident Evil games (2,3,CV) are also on the DC but haven't put time into those. As well as Dino Crisis. Seven Mansions: Ghastly Smile is another great one and was translated not too long ago that i need to put more time into. There is also Evil Dead, Carrier, and Alone in the Dark as well that i have only played for a a bit.

But out of all of these D2 imo is the one i would play and is very overlooked. I remember being moved by the story by the end when i played it many years ago.

Edit: 2d platformers are very slim on the DC sadly. But i would recommend to check out two homebrew games, Gunlord that is a Metroidvania style game and Intrepid Izzy that might be something you would like if you are looking for something that has handrawn style graphics. I can't think of one 2d platformer at the moment that was a retail DC game sadly.

Neo-dreamer
dark night

Post#3 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:42 pm

Carrier from Jaleco

mkandersson1082
MegaDeath

Post#4 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:09 pm

Dreamtastic wrote:There are quite a few. D2 is my favorite on the DC, it combines jrpg elements with survival horror and is on 4 gd roms that is a showcase for the DC. The Resident Evil games (2,3,CV) are also on the DC but haven't put time into those. As well as Dino Crisis. Seven Mansions: Ghastly Smile is another great one and was translated not too long ago that i need to put more time into. There is also Evil Dead, Carrier, and Alone in the Dark as well that i have only played for a a bit.

But out of all of these D2 imo is the one i would play and is very overlooked. I remember being moved by the story by the end when i played it many years ago.

Edit: 2d platformers are very slim on the DC sadly. But i would recommend to check out two homebrew games, Gunlord that is a Metroidvania style game and Intrepid Izzy that might be something you would like if you are looking for something that has handrawn style graphics. I can't think of one 2d platformer at the moment that was a retail DC game sadly.

I never got around to playing D2, is the atmosphere as creepy as the original? I played through it several times on Saturn.

beanboy
Wazza

Post#5 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:34 pm

There are a good bunch of them on the dreamcast. The ones I played and even recommend, are mentioned above too:

Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3
Resident Evil Code Veronica
Zombies Revenge is a good one too.
Dino Crisis
Soul Reaver

D2 and Illbreed are two of the weird ones, especially D2. I haven't played those two games yet.

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#6 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:10 pm

PAL exclusive Headhunter. It's not a true horror in the pure sense but it does have battles with the mutants quite often. I am too scared to play all of the others...lol.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#7 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:26 pm

If you like zombie style FPS games or something a bit like Stalker there are They Hunger and Paranoia, 2 great total conversion mods for Half-Life.

If you just want Paranoia you can grab it here.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/paranoia/dow ... t-paranoia

If you want to download every HLDC mod you can grab them in this pack here. Over 3gb of mods for DC. The mods are themed differently.

https://mega.nz/#!OQNy2A4Q!McJPfE4qQPSN ... thq1f1nPQc
Last edited by Anthony817 on Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post#8 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:25 am

Shadow Man, it’s not jump scare horror like RE but you literally play with a cursed soul in the land of the dead and is based on exploring. It has a dark theme, music & vibe, has some hellishly crazy locations and the story is pretty wild too…it is also so huge that it is not for everyone, you can easily get lost if you just run around & don’t pay attention.
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

Dreamtastic
lithium

Post#9 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:45 pm

mkandersson1082 wrote:
Dreamtastic wrote:There are quite a few. D2 is my favorite on the DC, it combines jrpg elements with survival horror and is on 4 gd roms that is a showcase for the DC. The Resident Evil games (2,3,CV) are also on the DC but haven't put time into those. As well as Dino Crisis. Seven Mansions: Ghastly Smile is another great one and was translated not too long ago that i need to put more time into. There is also Evil Dead, Carrier, and Alone in the Dark as well that i have only played for a a bit.

I never got around to playing D2, is the atmosphere as creepy as the original? I played through it several times on Saturn.

Its funny i never got around to D1, despite owning it on the Saturn so i can't say for sure i am only going on videos that I've seen. But D1 is it's own thing and is more of a point and click style game and relies more on fmv. D2 plays more like a jrpg RE clone hybird. But D2 has its creepy moments and atmosphere for sure.

JustSerii
shadow

Post#10 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:24 pm

If only Agartha was finished, it looks like it would have been a really good horror game. There is still a E3 demo out there from the guys over at

https://en.sega-dreamcast-info-games-preservation.com/