Official NTSC-U Region Light Gun Discovered

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
PowerVR
shadow

Official NTSC-U Region Light Gun Discovered

Post#1 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:22 pm

Greetings,

Sega of America canceled the North American release of the official light gun due to the Columbine tragedy. NTSC-U light gun games are coded to reject the official gun and will display an error message,"PERIPHERAL AT PORT A IS NOT SUPPORTED IN NORTH AMERICA", if you attempted to use one.

I recently acquired two official light guns with "US-MODEL" stickers attached. I tested them on the NTSC-U version of House of the Dead 2. Sure enough the games and light guns work without issues. The Dreamcast used for testing is a completely stock NTSC-U V0, there is no region or bios mod installed.

The source of the guns originated in San Francisco, HQ location of Sega of America. I suspect these were used at SoA for testing before they were canceled. I'm excited to have these, because I remember being really disappointed back in the day when it was announced that they would not be releasing the official light guns in North America. I had to settle for a crappy 3rd party gun.

Below is a video I recorded of the testing. Not a fan of youtube, so archive.org.

https://archive.org/details/ntsc-u-dreamcast-light-gun-unreleased

mrneo240
Rank 9

Re: Official NTSC-U Region Light Gun Discovered

Post#2 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:40 pm

Would you be willing to run a program to dump the information on the guns at some point?

PowerVR
shadow

Post#3 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:48 pm

mrneo240 wrote:Would you be willing to run a program to dump the information on the guns at some point?

Possibly, how would I go about that? A Dreamcast to USB adapter?

I'm no stranger to unreleased games and hardware, and honestly the last time I released a game to the community for free, bootleggers started selling reproductions within a week. It soured me a bit on releasing things. I'm torn because I support preservation.
Last edited by PowerVR on Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#4 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:51 pm

Amazing

I searched for HKT 7800 was that just the code given to the Japanese gun too? I've never seen it myself sorry just know the "official NTSC-U" Mad Catz and the abysmal Interact StarFire LightBlaster

PowerVR
shadow

Post#5 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:54 pm

mistamontiel wrote:Amazing

I searched for HKT 7800 was that just the code given to the Japanese gun too? I've never seen it myself sorry just know the "official NTSC-U" Mad Catz and the abysmal Interact StarFire LightBlaster

I think HTK-7800 was given to both the JP and EU models also. I assume they would use the same model number. I think Sega accessory model numbers are universal.

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#6 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:33 pm

Interesting seller told me his HKT 7800 works with NTSC-U HOTD2 when I asked if does for both NTSC region

Thedom517
rebel

Post#7 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:41 pm

What a amazing find, props to you. This is rad. Nice job.
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCB4MgPzXVEUKXednwQHtDug Consider subscribing! It helps a lot for my channel! -Dom

PowerVR
shadow

Post#8 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:53 pm

mistamontiel wrote:Interesting seller told me his HKT 7800 works with NTSC-U HOTD2 when I asked if does for both NTSC region

I'd be surprised if it did, I also recently asked someone to test their HTK-7800 they were selling on a NTSC-U HOTD2. They told me it worked, but when it arrived I got the screen below. I'm going to be returning it.

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#9 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:54 pm

PowerVR wrote:
mrneo240 wrote:Would you be willing to run a program to dump the information on the guns at some point?

Possibly, how would I go about that? A Dreamcast to USB adapter?

I'm no stranger to unreleased games and hardware, and honestly the last time I released a game to the community for free, bootleggers started selling reproductions within a week. It soured me a bit on releasing things. I'm torn because I support preservation.

I would just whip up something to run on the dreamcast itself, either by burning to cd or using some sort of ODE

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#10 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:05 pm

Dawh man!

Sweet boobtube too! Mine's is red light I think 1999 manufactured

People mistaken that this or that gun works on this or that region title, as for the CDIs I don't think that anyone's cracked the gun check?