Adding online mode to a game that originally has not got it.

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Rome1u
shadow

Adding online mode to a game that originally has not got it.

Post#1 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:54 pm

I wonder if it would be possible to add online mode to a game that originally has not got it.

For example: UFC game. It would be fantastic playing online.

Thanks!

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Re: Adding online mode to a game that originally has not got it.

Post#2 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:59 pm

Nope. At least not on the DC. It would need to be a but more opened with the possibility to load 3rd party scripts and such. Games on PC sometimes get multiplayer added to games with none at all because the community was able to mod it in, case in point is GTA SA, that game had a really popular online community because modders were able to create a backend for it. On Dreamcast this is not really possible.

Now, porting older games from PC to DC and adding online is possible, but few have really attempted it and were successful. Doom for DC supposedly has online but it is not really confirmed if it works at all or not. QuakeWorld has a port on DC that is not released yet, and it is going to have fully working online. If you own one of those Dreamcast Serial SD card adapters you can actually download maps straight to it when joining a server. This hands down makes it worth it to own one of those devices IMHO.

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#3 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:57 am

It might not be that relevant to Dreamcast, but there was a hack for playing a handful of Gamecube games online on real hardware back in the day, it was called GCARS CS.

(The reason the video starts with PSO is because in 2006, the main method of booting homebrew on a Gamecube was connecting to a hacked PSO server)

It worked with about 10 games and requires a Gamecube broadband adapter. I've wanted to try it for a long time now, but I've been unable to find someone else to test with who has the needed equipment (unmodded gamecube, bba, real US game discs).

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#4 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:59 am

There are a number of pc emulators that work with third party software like kaillera or fightcade to basically sync two versions of the emulator together through the internet, and then transmit the P1 and P2 controls to each other. In that respect, it is turning the local multiplayer into an online match. It's probably a lot of work, but I always wondered if maybe a console such as the dreamcast used in conjunction with custom pc software could do something similar. Might need some extra hardware... something to translate the incoming controller input data coming through the internet to a controller port.

Also, back in the 90s on the 16 bit systems, a third party developed a modem and reverse engineered several games such as Mortal Kombat, to be playable over dial-up internet. As I understand it, you plugged the regular version of Mortal Kombat (with no online functionality programmed into the rom) into the modem cartridge, and you could do online match making. That must have been a similar concept to sending controller inputs through the internet between two consoles.

beanboy
Wazza

Post#5 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:37 pm

They have been doing that with NullDC dreamcast emulator.
People right now are playing and fighting other people online, in Virtua Fighter 3TB, and even Soul Calibur. They said that more dreamcast fighting games that never had online, and games that have online functionality, will be online soon but it will take sometime.
Last edited by beanboy on Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#6 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:42 pm

NullDC has not been updated in over a decade. I used to speak with the main developer haha. It is not getting new updates.

beanboy
Wazza

Post#7 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:44 pm

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fighters/comme ... s2hnkkoxi/

Maximillian Dood and the doods, were playing Soul Calibur, Virtua Fighter 3tb, and CvS2 a few weeks ago. Check out their videos on yovideogames. I'll be playing as soon as I fix my pc.

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#8 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:06 pm

Parsec is also an option for pretty much any program that can run on pc

Rome1u
shadow

Post#9 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:50 pm

Thank you for the interesting information.

PD: I am worried about security using nulldc's net play nowadays.

Rome1u
shadow

Post#10 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:08 pm

dark wrote:There are a number of pc emulators that work with third party software like kaillera or fightcade to basically sync two versions of the emulator together through the internet, and then transmit the P1 and P2 controls to each other. In that respect, it is turning the local multiplayer into an online match. It's probably a lot of work, but I always wondered if maybe a console such as the dreamcast used in conjunction with custom pc software could do something similar. Might need some extra hardware... something to translate the incoming controller input data coming through the internet to a controller port.

Also, back in the 90s on the 16 bit systems, a third party developed a modem and reverse engineered several games such as Mortal Kombat, to be playable over dial-up internet. As I understand it, you plugged the regular version of Mortal Kombat (with no online functionality programmed into the rom) into the modem cartridge, and you could do online match making. That must have been a similar concept to sending controller inputs through the internet between two consoles.

It sounds good!