Dreamcast USB Coders Cables Pre-Ordering now Open

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
turtlemanrobot5
noob

Re: Dreamcast USB Coders Cables Pre-Ordering now Open

Post#11 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:14 pm

not worth it sorry

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#12 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:35 pm

I think it's fine problem is with this the link cable is better value because you could make 2 coders cables out of this for about the same money.. the costly bit is the connector..

i do need one i think it's great understand the hand built side of things but target for this is coders homebrew like my self who put time money and releases for free for every one..

link cable more gamers collectors wanting to try retail games .. very niche most coders would be using BBA now.. you still have to burn your assets to a cdr never send them over this it's very slow..

mellott124
rebel

Post#13 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:45 pm

Not exactly. Part cost of the DC USB cable is much higher than the serial cable. FTDI cables are not cheap and I won’t use the cheaper Chinese knockoffs. These are also not really meant for people that can build their own anyway. If you can do that, and are willing to spend the time, then the info is online to obviously do that. You also have to hack an HDMI connector. I’ve designed a custom fit connector.

I don’t want to preach to the choir here. I have them for those that may want one. If not, that’s ok too.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#14 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:50 pm

mellott124 wrote:Not exactly. Part cost of the DC USB cable is much higher than the serial cable. FTDI cables are not cheap and I won’t use the cheaper Chinese knockoffs. These are also not really meant for people that can build their own anyway. If you can do that, and are willing to spend the time, then the info is online to obviously do that. You also have to hack an HDMI connector. I’ve designed a custom fit connector.

I don’t want to preach to the choir here. I have them for those that may want one. If not, that’s ok too.

Yeah for sure much better then the old crap i had :) look very nice been doing dreamcast dev since 2002 :)

Said you wanted a story well 2002 still doing homebrew for dreamcast ported the first neogeo cd emulator to dreamcast using 100's of burned cdrs quake mame it's a pretty big list of things..

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Post#15 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:04 am

$85 bucks may be steep, but people need to understand these are handmade and in very low demand.
It's not like a factory is churning these things out for a nickle. BBA is still the best thing for dreamcast dev, but this is a good alternative. And as stated before, the plans to make your own are out there if you feel this is too expensive. I don't code, but glad to see a modern and high quality option is out there.

Xiden
Developer

Post#16 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:15 pm

As you guys can probably tell from all my posts, I'm a huge fan of Kevins work. The cables he makes equate to factory quality. I know for sure I could never build anything like this myself. Anyone who has invested in his cables would agree the quality is top notch. As Nico stated very well, these cables are in very low demand, so the cost to make these isn't cheap. However if you decide this product is right for you, you will not be disappointed if you decide to invest :)!

mellott124
rebel

Post#17 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:08 pm

I just shipped Ian a cable. Have fun sir!

Xiden
Developer

Post#18 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:11 pm

mellott124 wrote:I just shipped Ian a cable. Have fun sir!

Thanks for hooking ian up kevin! very awesome!

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Post#19 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:35 am

You're quite awesome! Thanks for helping out the community. Let us know how it works Ian!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#20 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:48 am

Thank you kevin :)