Will Dreamcast start up with controller board disconnected

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

noiseguy
shadow

Will Dreamcast start up with controller board disconnected

Post#1 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:17 am

Picked up a Dreamcast V1 in very poor condition. On opening it found ribbon connector to controller board was missing. It doesn't boot up (no screen), drive inop) and wondering if I can rule that the motherboard is dead now, or need to wait until the replacement ribbon cable comes in to connect that for further testing.

Power supply voltages checked out, but unit had been previously pulled apart (missing screws, etc) and the motherboard was covering in residue... looks like tin fouling. I cleaned the motherboard with alcohol, hooked up power supply and drive, and powered up. Drive didn't spin, blank screen. Any thoughts appreciated.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Re: Will Dreamcast start up with controller board disconnected

Post#2 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:21 am

No it won't. The controller board powers the fan and it won't turn on without the fan spinning.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

noiseguy
shadow

Post#3 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:32 am

Thanks; did some searching and couldn't find anything definitive. Guess I'll wait until the replacement ribbon gets here from HK before buying a replacement motherboard...

noiseguy
shadow

Post#4 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:26 pm

To give you an idea what the MB looked like on this. I think it's tin fouling. It looks better after alcohol wash and going over it with a Qtip but still not clean...
Attachments
IMG_7024.JPG
IMG_7023.JPG

noiseguy
shadow

Post#5 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:09 pm

So following up: Managed to run down the correct ribbon cable and install. Light went on when power applied; as soon as I connected the AV cable and tried to repower the light flashed twice and went dead. Now won't power on at all. Not super surprising given what the insides looked like, so now on hunt for a replacement MB.

noiseguy
shadow

Post#6 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:28 pm

What are root cause for no video output?

Replaced motherboard with another VA1 board, connected power supply, controller board, fan, power switch, and GDEMU module with no SD card.
On power on, Power Light comes on, GDEMU light flashes, fan comes on, but no video output.
Remove GDEMU, reinstall CD ROM, on power on, power Light comes on, fan comes on, but no video output.

Anything this could be besides failed video out on motherboard?