Orginal Xbox Live Replacement

Talk about Nintendo, Xbox, PlayStation and other Sega game consoles here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Banditpaw1
rebel

Orginal Xbox Live Replacement

Post#1 » Fri May 22, 2020 3:05 am

Since a few posts for Xlink-kai and such where made I thought some people might find it interested to know online is being restored.

https://www.purexbox.com/news/2020/05/a ... _announced

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Re: Orginal Xbox Live Replacement

Post#2 » Fri May 22, 2020 5:46 am

I saw this. Looks interesting. Don't have an original xbox anymore but the xbox scene definitely deserved to have an alternative to play games online again. If a big community popped up, I might pick one up again just to play Mechassault and Conker again. I know xlink is an option, but I believe this would be MUCH more accessable for users.

Actually anyone know if Sylvernet supports the xbox version of PSO? I remember Schthack technically supported it, but no one knew how to get around xboxlive.

NightBreeze
fire

Post#3 » Fri May 22, 2020 6:16 am

Nico0020 wrote:Actually anyone know if Sylvernet supports the xbox version of PSO? I remember Schthack technically supported it, but no one knew how to get around xboxlive.

I imagine it's similar to the GameCube version in that regard. It seems Schthack is also in talks with the creator of Insignia to get the Xbox version online, so PSO could very well be one of the games that are available early on.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#4 » Fri May 22, 2020 9:01 am

I'd be very surprised if they don't receive a cease & desist from Microsoft, not only for obvious reasons, but also because during sign-up on the Xbox, it asks for personal details and credit card information and requires users to accept agreements from "Microsoft". Of course most users will just enter fake information but Microsoft isn't going to take the chance of being liable if one person actually puts in real information and it gets stolen. Maybe I'm wrong but I guess we'll find out soon enough now that this is getting more publicity.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

NightBreeze
fire

Post#5 » Fri May 22, 2020 2:03 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:I'd be very surprised if they don't receive a cease & desist from Microsoft, not only for obvious reasons, but also because during sign-up on the Xbox, it asks for personal details and credit card information and requires users to accept agreements from "Microsoft". Of course most users will just enter fake information but Microsoft isn't going to take the chance of being liable if one person actually puts in real information and it gets stolen. Maybe I'm wrong but I guess we'll find out soon enough now that this is getting more publicity.

There are definitely ways around that. By running their own software they could very well bypass the Microsoft dashboard and write the account to the Xbox straight. Another option might be to pre-create accounts and just load them onto the Xbox by some method. Not sure how this would work smoothly, but perhaps there is an option to "restore XBL account".

hadyn
letterbomb

Post#6 » Fri May 22, 2020 4:05 pm

This is very exciting, especially as I have an OG Xbox myself.

This guy makes some interesting points about how Microsoft might react to this:

https://youtu.be/5DVKwTtJtS8

ncman071
Sunday Shootout

Post#7 » Fri May 22, 2020 4:36 pm

If this comes to fruition I can't imagine the player base being huge...kind of see the xlink crowd migrating over to this and some of us.....me personally I will probably only play the DC and og Xbox online ...I barely play the newer systems online anymore...this will be the nail in the coffin

Greg2600
dark night

Post#8 » Fri May 22, 2020 7:45 pm

I'm not sure MS will bother with Insignia. He didn't hack or crack any MS code to do this, it's his own code. As for the player base, well, almost anything that isn't a currently supported console has a limited user base. That being said, XBL was head and shoulders above the netplay options offered on any console during that era. The others were balky and pretty shoddy. XBL acted more like PC game online play. I watched MVG's video, and it seems like the main programmer Luke still has a lot of work to do with replicating all of the XBL features. His announcement simply showed that authentication was now possible.

OfManNotMachine
letterbomb

Post#9 » Fri May 22, 2020 11:17 pm

I so hope this happens, but I will be absolutely SHOCKED if MS doesn't squash this like a bug, the arguement is simple, Xbox Live is still an active service, despite it no longer working with the Original Xbox. I'm sure they got lawyers who can put an end to this in an instant if they wish it. You have to defend your IP's. They will more certainly do so here

megavolt85
Developer

Post#10 » Sat May 23, 2020 9:08 am

the issue is resolved very easily, the anonym merges the source code into the network and the army of lawyers, along with microsoft, begin to suck each other
companies can only deal with commercial offers, against open source they are powerless