dcGmail not working

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

sindikatas
shadow

dcGmail not working

Post#1 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:24 pm

Hello, I installed dcGmail on my Pi, however it does not work. I tried two browsers, Planetweb and XDP. When I send an e-mail, both browsers say that the mail was successfully sent. However, I never receive the e-mail I sent. And I tried sending it to two e-mail accounts. It's not in spam. I can also see that my e-mail account is getting a connection from POP3, so it is connecting to the account. What could be the problem?

sindikatas
shadow

Re: dcGmail not working

Post#2 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:39 am

@Shuouma Any ideas?

Xiden
Developer

Post#3 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:17 pm

sindikatas wrote:@Shuouma Any ideas?

are you using Gmail? Did you turn on the switch on the gmail account that says let less secure apps work?

sindikatas
shadow

Post#4 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:16 am

Xiden wrote:

are you using Gmail? Did you turn on the switch on the gmail account that says let less secure apps work?

Yes, I am using Gmail and yes I did turn it on.

Xiden
Developer

Post#5 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:22 pm

sindikatas wrote:
Xiden wrote:

Make sure you entered correct ip for pop3 and smtp.
Maybe re-enter everything again? Could be typo on pass?

Its possible you made a typo when setting up software on dreampi.

I ran a test on planetweb 2.0 and it's working for me so should be working for all.

sindikatas
shadow

Post#6 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:52 pm

Xiden wrote:
sindikatas wrote:
Xiden wrote:

I ran a test on planetweb 2.0 and it's working for me so should be working for all.

I am sure that I did not make any typos. I setup DCGmail once more just to make sure. Still not working. However, I then created a new Gmail account. And suddenly, sending e-mails works with this Gmail. Why could this be? Though receiving e-mail doesn't work.
The strangest thing, however, is that when I set up my new Gmail account, I got an e-mail from this new account to the old account which did not work. I did not send that message today. The text is from an old e-mail I tried to send with the old account! Did that old e-mail get stuck and finally got sent out when I set up the new account? But what about all the other e-mails I sent. I don't understand this, this is really mysterious. It clearly says that the e-mail is received from the new account, however when I replied to the e-mail, the reply got sent to my old account!

Xiden
Developer

Post#7 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:38 pm

sindikatas wrote:
Xiden wrote:
sindikatas wrote:

I am sure that I did not make any typos. I setup DCGmail once more just to make sure. Still not working. However, I then created a new Gmail account. And suddenly, sending e-mails works with this Gmail. Why could this be? Though receiving e-mail doesn't work.
The strangest thing, however, is that when I set up my new Gmail account, I got an e-mail from this new account to the old account which did not work. I did not send that message today. The text is from an old e-mail I tried to send with the old account! Did that old e-mail get stuck and finally got sent out when I set up the new account? But what about all the other e-mails I sent. I don't understand this, this is really mysterious. It clearly says that the e-mail is received from the new account, however when I replied to the e-mail, the reply got sent to my old account!

the way the software works is it polls the Gmail account I think every 15 mins or so (could be more often). It will grab all the emails from gmail and put them in its own "pi" email box. This is a unsecured email that the dreamcast can understand. So I could take a few mins to get an email, also I never open the email on gmail itself, I always wait for it to appear on dreampi email before opening it. Basically its one email system fwd mail to another.

if sending works then receiving should work too, maybe just not waiting long enough? Try sending yourself another email wait about 10-15 mins and check your dreamcast inbox. Don't open on gmail (I'm not sure if that has any affect on if it gets pulled in my pi or not).

If you're still having issues you might PM Shuouma directly, but sounds like you're on the right track now

Shuouma
Developer

Post#8 » Sat May 02, 2020 4:29 pm

Yes the script only fetches "unread" messages (this is because otherwise it will download ur entire inbox). It fetches on a certain interval so if you turn off the dreampi during a fetch and it was not completed, the script will see it as read and never fetch it again.

I usually have a second gmail account for this and check if a get a mail on my mailclient, then I dont read it and start up the dreampi and wait until I can see it (for example a Swirl mail). Then you also know when u have a swirl mail so u are extra careful booting up the dreampi :)

The interval is just so gmail doesnt block ur account, if it tries to fetch mails to often that might happen.