Terraonion MODE Dreamcast & Saturn FPGA ODE

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Re: Terraonion MODE Dreamcast & Saturn FPGA ODE

Post#31 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:12 am

megavolt85 wrote:if you like to kill connectors that are not designed to change frequently, then you can replug evry day

That's why I wrote "Only other valid reason I can think of is being afraid the conncertors are gonna wear out over time". So the reason against doing it is a technical reason, but noone (from what I seen) actually said it's not a good idea due to technical reasons.

areyareadyherewego
photon blast

Post#32 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:20 am

its a pretty impressive technical feat

just feels wasted on the consumer you own a device that works with Saturn AND dreamcast but you gotta buy two or be prepared for a pain in the ass swap between devices all the time that will cause wear eventually on the device and the consoles

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#33 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:52 am

This one for the saturn support old collection bin+cue not ccd or some other format so no mucking about redoing your iso collection better menu for sure also has a better menu for dreamcast..

then the current gdemu clones or non.. I dont see it being super high cost has more appeal to me say your dreamcast dies well install it in the saturn say your saturn dies install in your dreamcast gives flex-able ness for the price you pay.. I would buy it only for the saturn at this point i think most would..

azel
fire

Post#34 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:02 pm

The Terraonion MODE looks to be the premium ODE for Saturn. It has claimed 100% compatibility, a beautiful menu system and support for SD, USB thumb drive, SATA hd/ssd and supports a wide variety of disc images. You definitely pay a fair bit but it is an amazing product.

Fenrir is cool but it still seems like its in development and I would hesitate to buy one immediately. Likely it can fix compatibility issues through firmware upgrades but until I can be certain I would wait on buying one. It is the bare bones/budget ODE in my opinion.

Sitting in the middle of these is the Satiator. Its main benefit is keeping the Saturn unmodified since it just plugs into the VCD port in the back. Price wise it will probably be in between the MODE and Fenrir. Hopefully it can support more disc image types in the future to be more comparable with MODE but I think this is a really cool product as well.

All in all I think it's an exciting time to be a Saturn fan. I will wait for the dust to settle a little bit before I buy one of these but I really just hope that the MODE price comes down a little bit because right now this one looks really appealing to me.

Greg2600
dark night

Post#35 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:40 pm

Anthony817 wrote:Well we don't know if there is an ability to use the USB port to transfer files from the device to the other 2 storage mediums. I mean it would be pretty cool if you could do that for the $200 price tag. That might be worth asking them directly. No reason it might not be possible via a firmware update? That would be cool if you could just leave a cable inside it connected you could plus another end into a PC to swap over files. Doubt it may be possible even because they mentioned only 1 port worked at a time so doesn't sound like you will be able to turn on the DC to access the HDD.

I could have sworn I saw Todd from TO say that the HDD and USB cannot be accessed concurrently, but the microSD could be.

johnph2001
shadow

Post#36 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:57 pm

I got one for my Saturn. May have to pull the trigger for dreamcast too!

Greg2600
dark night

Post#37 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:10 pm

https://stoneagegamer.com/terraonion-mo ... n-ode.html

Stone Age Gamer pre-orders open NOW!

Woodneeded
undertow

Post#38 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:07 pm

Greg2600 wrote:https://stoneagegamer.com/terraonion-mode-dreamcast-saturn-ode.html

Stone Age Gamer pre-orders open NOW!

Very surprised to see a store from my hometown area sell this type of stuff

ruthyard
shadow

Post#39 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:24 pm

I got mine a week ago. I'm using it for my Saturn. I I went with a 2t sata hard drive, loaded it up with the full redump romset. I'm using the retro gaming cables component cables, and a retrotink 2x classic. I love it.
Attachments
IMG_20200831_132224.jpg
IMG_20200831_132129.jpg
IMG_20200831_132107.jpg
ghhb

Teuton1379
lithium

Post#40 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:57 am

I have had requests for custom SD cards for the TO MODE for DC, not for Saturn yet. I do not plan on getting the TO as I already have the Fenrir for Saturn and have been a Patreon supporter of Dr Abrasive for a while, I am in the queue to get a Satiator pretty soon.

On the DC side, I have 2 DCs, one for SD cards (GDEMU 5.15) and another with Dreamshell loaded on an internal HDD.

People are selling TO MODE for a $300 starting price on eBay when you can get it from a reputable US seller for $229. Beware!