Daytona USA fun!!

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
beanboy
Wazza

Re: Daytona USA fun!!

Post#31 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:02 pm

Most of the music in this game is super hype exciting. I will admit, I like the music that plays in the options menu. That music sounds like it's for a spy action game made by sega. All of a sudden, I'm thinking of a game, that looks like both Outtrigger and Golden Eye. :D

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#32 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:53 pm

For all those who have trouble with the handling/drifting in this game, I have a little bit of advice as someone who struggled with it for a while.

To make the tighter turns in this game, set your car to manual transmission and drift by shifting down to gear 1 or 2 right before the turn starts, then jam the steering wheel in the direction of the turn. This will cause your car to start drifting around the turn without losing much speed. Then, shift back up to gear 3 or 4 when you're ready to stop drifting and the car should start to straighten itself out. It takes time to get used to, but it's really satisfying when you do. The last turn on the first track is a good place to practice drifting. You shouldn't need to brake or let off the gas when drifting unless it's a really tricky turn on one of the later tracks.

I strongly recommend not using automatic transmission in this game, it's a beginner's trap and it's much harder to properly drift when you can't control your gears. Also, the softer your tires, the more grip you have, so don't be afraid to try using the faster cars with lower grip, as you can compensate somewhat by using softer tires.

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#33 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:44 pm

^That's basically how people who are really into the arcade version play. Shifting the gears down to reduce speed and drift around curves instead of relying exclusively on the brake. I never totally got the hang of it, but it's definitely the way to go if you want to get faster times.

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#34 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:27 am

I tried using only the brakes when I was trying to figure out how the game worked, and I just didn't get anywhere by doing that. It's not that it made me too slow, it's that it didn't help me make tight turns and I'd still slide into the wall. It wasn't until I switched to manual and starting downshifting that I started to get the hang of the game.

I now know that you can achieve a similar effect to downshifting by holding down the brake for half a second or so before each turn, but this slows you down more and gives you less control, since you can't upshift to straighten out your car.

beanboy
Wazza

Post#35 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:46 pm

@ReaderRagfish
I read both of your posts. Good advice.

ReaderRagfish wrote:I strongly recommend not using automatic transmission in this game, it's a beginner's trap and it's much harder to properly drift when you can't control your gears.

That is true. I realised that for myself when playing Daytona. Good advice.

ReaderRagfish wrote:Also, the softer your tires, the more grip you have, so don't be afraid to try using the faster cars with lower grip, as you can compensate somewhat by using softer tires.

Yeah. Alot of gamers seem to forget, or overlook the fact, that the type of tires you use, can greatly affect the handling of the car, on the track and the car itself. I think that gamers overlook this, with other racing games too.