Retrobit DC controller update

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Roel
Developer

Re: Retrobit DC controller update

Post#31 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:07 am

What sort of madman speaks in fiscal quarters when not specifically referring to fiscal matters?

"Ah, see, you misunderstood because you use the metric system. US quarters are 2.54 years long, so we're still on schedule." :lol:

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#32 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:20 pm

Actually a lot of companies and corporations use the US fiscal year format even outside of the North American market. It is dumb and confusing, yes I do agree, but Retro-Bit being an American company it does make sense that they would use this format.

tenchi ryu
dark night

Post#33 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:39 pm

Got a new update, this thing is about to be the holy grail controller

ETA is late 2020 now

Ragfish
St.Jimmy

Post#34 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:10 pm

They sure are taking their sweet time with this one, but I'm still excited for it. This looks to fix all the issues I have with the regular dreamcast controller and if it's well done then I fully plan on using one of these full time.

Nz17
St.Jimmy

Post#35 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:08 am

As a retro gamer, you maybe aware of the controllers of Retro-Bit. Working closely with Sega in recent years, the company have had unprecedented access to the original designs of the Megadrive and Saturn controllers, making 1.1 replicas and even releasing wireless versions as well as PC / Bluetooth supported device version too.

A few years ago, Retro-Bit had shown off a re-issued Dreamcast controller too, looking very close to the original design as per previous hardware peripherals, it now transpires that a new, exciting Dreamcast controller is heading our way for use on our original machines.

Take a look at this! Not only has the D-Pad been reworked to an more MD/Saturn friendly design ethic, the triggers have been repositioned, there is also now 6 buttons instead of 4, a redesigned analog stick and you can have this beauty in either wired or wireless. In our eyes, this looks to be the controller to watch out for, sure there have been various hideous attempts at changing the Dreamcast controller but Retro-Bit seem to have really nailed it here – it’s a shame there isn’t a second analog stick but I’m sure this would require compatibility in game so otherwise redundant.

Look out for these to hit the shelves in later 2020.

Source: https://dreamcasttoday.wordpress.com/2020/04/11/retro-bit-lift-lid-on-new-dreamcast-controller/

Greg2600
dark night

Post#36 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:15 am

Evidently they saw what Retro Fighter is coming out with, and made changes. If it doesn't somehow fix the awful control you have in racing games with game pads, I don't want it. Would have been sweet to see one with dual analog.

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#37 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:30 am

tenchi ryu wrote:Got a new update, this thing is about to be the holy grail controller

ETA is late 2020 now

I like the Genesis/Saturn style d-pad, but looking at the picture I'm wondering didn't they put it way too close to the analog stick, to the point it could feel in the way for some people. The original was pretty close as is, but this seems like right under it a millimeter away.

DCGX
Vagabond

Post#38 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:51 am

I remain cautiously optimistic.

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#39 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:08 pm

Do you thing, the two news switches are really new or it's triggers report ?

tenchi ryu
dark night

Post#40 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:15 pm

fafadou wrote:Do you thing, the two news switches are really new or it's triggers report ?

It seems that the new buttons will just mirror the L and R triggers and not read as the Z and C buttons a couple fighting games can read separately. Bummer but I'll still take having L and R as buttons