Heroes of Might and Magic III Dreamcast unreleased community fundraiser

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
dreamcast ™
undertow

Re: Heroes of Might and Magic III Dreamcast unreleased community fundraiser

Post#41 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:04 am

Tarnish wrote:Would be a bit ironic if after 2 decades of a beta disc floating around from collector to collector, the game is actually released not from said disc, but the original developers themselves.

The irony is going to be when Mr. Free (@PCWzrd13) gets the fundraiser shut down by Ubisoft because he drew attention to all this by going directly to them, then no one gets to play anything because anyone holding the actual known-to-exist copy of the beta will be worried Ubisoft will come after them if they should ever release it (reimbursed or not). :roll:.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#42 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:26 am

No its a DC friend hes not emailing the CEO

megavolt85
Developer

Post#43 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:54 am

dreamcast ™ wrote:
Tarnish wrote:Would be a bit ironic if after 2 decades of a beta disc floating around from collector to collector, the game is actually released not from said disc, but the original developers themselves.

The irony is going to be when Mr. Free (@PCWzrd13) gets the fundraiser shut down by Ubisoft because he drew attention to all this by going directly to them, then no one gets to play anything because anyone holding the actual known-to-exist copy of the beta will be worried Ubisoft will come after them if they should ever release it (reimbursed or not). :roll:.

tell me where can I get such a good marijuana? :mrgreen:

thedoctor45
lithium

Post#44 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:39 am

While it's good to see that the community is suddenly increasing their efforts to get unreleased games out there for free, people should consider the possibility that in case the current fundraiser isn't successful the original owner (Fatalist) will most likely be very reluctant to release any of his other prototypes (of which there are quite many) to the community later on, so this would be a late but not so unexpected downside...

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#45 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:06 am

megavolt85 wrote:
dreamcast ™ wrote:

tell me where can I get such a good marijuana? :mrgreen:

must be good stuff lol.. If the guy is worried Ubisoft find out he is trying to sell something he should not being as it's unreleased beta he should not be doing it now.. doing it because you think Ubisoft is not watching you that makes it fine is silly..

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#46 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:12 am

@pcwzrd13 : I don't want to be rude but if you can request him if he has eidos contact about commandos 2 and soul reaver 2 ?

Well, hope both version oh HOMM3 will be release, like half-life there are some things that the other version doesn't have I guess.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#47 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:38 am

dreamcast ™ wrote:The irony is going to be when Mr. Free (@PCWzrd13) gets the fundraiser shut down by Ubisoft because he drew attention to all this by going directly to them

:lol: Do you really think Ubisoft cares about someone releasing a buggy build of a 20+ year old game for a long-discontinued console? They're certainly not going to waste time and resources to stop something like that. They're a business at the end of the day and if it's not going to impact them in any significant way, it's a waste of their time.

I know many game devs from large companies including Sega, 2K Games/Visual Concepts, Ubisoft, Nintendo, etc... They know about stuff going on in the community. VC knew about the reverse-engineered servers and the release of Internet Game Pack. Did they care? Nope. In fact, they were thrilled when they heard about it. Now are they going to just send you unreleased games upon request without getting permission? Certainly not. At the same time they're not going to come after you if you acquire it from another source.

Shout-out to the devs at VC BTW! Some of the coolest guys I've ever had the pleasure of speaking with.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#48 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:40 am

I agree with PCwzrd13 for various reasons.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#49 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:27 am

Ok so a littel bit of an update. Unfortunately the producer wasn't able to find a build of the game in his own files. We're still trying to contact the former Westka Entertainment guys though. I think there's also a good chance Ubisoft themselves might have it. My contact is going to look into it.

In the meantime, here's some info about the game that was given to me by the producer:

The project was nearing beta, but there was a lot of technical issue, mostly in terms of performance. This was never adressed to as satisfactory level, and so the project was killed.

So it appears they were unable to get the game running smoothly on the Dreamcast so this is the reason for the cancellation.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

thedoctor45
lithium

Post#50 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:50 am

pcwzrd13 wrote:Ok so a littel bit of an update. Unfortunately the producer wasn't able to find a build of the game in his own files. We're still trying to contact the former Westka Entertainment guys though. I think there's also a good chance Ubisoft themselves might have it. My contact is going to look into it.

In the meantime, here's some info about the game that was given to me by the producer:

The project was nearing beta, but there was a lot of technical issue, mostly in terms of performance. This was never adressed to as satisfactory level, and so the project was killed.

So it appears they were unable to get the game running smoothly on the Dreamcast so this is the reason for the cancellation.

Thanks for the update.

There‘s hoping that GD-EMUs or DreamShells G1-ATA based storage solutions will at least help reduce some of the problems the Beta has with loading times and performance.

Could you maybe give me a rough estimate on how long it could take until we see results on this? I'm not sure if it's wise to keep the fundraiser running when there‘s still a chance that your source could release it later because the longer this takes the more people will invest money and the more difficult the situation will become if it does indeed get released for free in the end.

It would have been better to coordinte your efforts with Tom or myself before going public with this tbh.