nuQuake v1.2

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

DARKHALO2K
dark night

Re: nuQuake v1.2

Post#91 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:46 am

This engine is a huge deal for homebrew, and I hope that releases such as After The Fall and Rizzo Island will help it get more attention.

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#92 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:36 am

Well say :-)

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#93 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:00 pm

DARKHALO2K wrote:Here's how my version of the map currently looks in GLQuake :

i actually played through and finished the level, you can now transition to map 2, although the levels are so big, ram is strained. it might be best to save after each and reload.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#94 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:07 pm

Could it not be possible to split up the level into 2 parts to make it more manageable for the systems low memory? The Dreamcast ports of Half-Life and Soldier of Fortune had to do that to get the games to run within the system specs.

DARKHALO2K
dark night

Post#95 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:55 pm

Asking a player to save and reload after completing a level creates a bad user experience, makes the game feel unpolished, and expects every player to be using a VMU.

My goal is to create a quality, polished release, and I want your engine to be the best that it can be.

I've played the game to completion on Makaqu and so I should be able to with nuQuake, but this is why it's important to make engine features optional wherever possible, as projects that wouldn't benefit from them could simply disable them via a config file.

Also, have you run the game on your Dreamcast from a CD? It's possible that at least some of the audio issues are limited to using burnt media.

And I did originally think about splitting up the larger levels to improve performance, but the levels would have to be decompiled as the original .map files were never released, and my brief experiments with this made it clear that it would involve a lot of unnecessary work.

Anyway, I've ordered a load of CD-Rs and will hook up the Elgato. I'll experiment with some of the different builds and get back to you with any feedback or suggestions.

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#96 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:41 pm

i have a new build today, it now comes in 2 flavors so thats neat. should be a touch faster as well.

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#97 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:28 pm

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#98 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:46 pm

Wow that is looking really good! Only a few small times when the frames dropped below 10fps, but most other times it seemed to run above 30fps all the way to 60 consistently even! Looks absolutely beautiful if I don't say so myself!

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#99 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:17 am

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#100 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:34 am

Love it man! You really are the wunderkind of the Dreamcast homebrew community! You make us proud brother!

Return to “New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation”