Keep Dreaming Project

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Zeigren
noob

Keep Dreaming Project

Post#1 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:31 pm

dc_pile.jpg

I’m starting a project for the Dreamcast, here’s a quick blurb

The Keep Dreaming Project aims to provide the Dreamcast community with an open-source ecosystem for hardware research and development.

Hardware
    Breakout boards
    Development boards
    Other tools and final designs
Collaboration
    GD-ROM Drive Emulator
    Wireless Network Adapter
    Wireless Controller
    Project Management Platform
    Documentation Platform
    Developer Chat

There’s a thriving community developing hardware and software for the Dreamcast, however many of us work alone. How many people have tried to create a Dreamcast GD-ROM drive emulator? Network adapter? Wireless controller?

Many of these complex projects end up taking a single person years to complete if they do at all. A common ecosystem with a solid hardware foundation will make collaboration easier, avoid reinventing the wheel, and reduce time spent troubleshooting.

More information will be up on Patreon, but of course feel free to ask me questions here!

Edit: Added a post about the initial progress and some of my design choices for the openGDROM
Edit2: Discord Server

Zeigren
noob

Re: Keep Dreaming Project

Post#2 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:05 pm

It's been awhile so here's a quick project update.

kairohm.dev - Moved everything to a new server and new domain
InvenTree - Added a website to create a database of Dreamcast parts, variants, and assemblies
Official Documentation - I've been cleaning up the official documentation so it's easier to use
G1 and G2 Bus Development Boards - Switching from a Microchip to an STM32 MCU, no longer going to be modular
Discord - The updates channel now gets notifications from Docker Hub, GitHub, and Phabricator
Overview - Wrote a better overview of the project
Contributing - Wrote a better contributing guide
Joining - You can now use GitHub or e-mail to create an account for BookStack and Phabricator
tikatree - Made a little program that uses Apache Tika to parse metadata from the official documentation, as well as create checksums and various file lists

I've reworked things a little bit so all the infrastructure I've been putting together can be used by other Dreamcast projects or other gaming-related projects. Although it's all still on a tiny server so there's only so much capacity there.

I'll be ordering the new revisions of the breakout boards in the next couple of days, along with a little board I put together that I can use to test out the STM32F7 MCU that I think will end up on the G1 and G2 Bus development boards.

runkthepunk
Doom

Post#3 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:25 pm

Sounds like great stuff.

Way beyond my skills but love to see this kind of technical knowledge and enthusiasm.

beanboy
Wazza

Post#4 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:11 pm

Wow!

Zeigren
noob

Post#5 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:28 pm

Thanks! Some of the project isn't too technical take my latest foray as an example. I compiled all the official Sega files I have into one huge spreadsheet, which is mostly tedious lol.

The spreadsheet lists a little over 38,000 files but I excluded most of the SDK installation files to avoid having even more duplicates then there already are. There are a couple of sheets that are already pre-filtered, one that just lists docs, another shows all the duplicate files, and one shows all of the unique ones. I don't have anything that isn't already out there, this is just meant to be an easier way check things out and a quick way to see revisions. I also just like doing this kind of stuff lol.

Links to the spreadsheet:
https://bookstack.kairohm.dev/books/dreamcast-documentation/page/official-documentation-catchall
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1RhGxoHbHHhKvJATSoE5oZBRx1BKlxKsO
https://mega.nz/#!l7IUjKrC!qgSQv7356rW7zX3TMogzBXoDObGc6VCCde-2BtcUHAA
Attachments
DreamcastFileList.xlsx
(7.16 MiB) Downloaded 310 times

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#6 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:21 pm

Wow bro you sure have been busy! I saw your post about this over at Obscure and think it is a great idea.