DreamPi Desktop

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

deluxux
Black Mesa

Re: [Release] DreamPi Companion | 2.0 released! (FEB/23/2020)

Post#141 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:03 pm

@SMiTH Im sure lots of people care! Make a new server! https://www.dreamcastlive.net/server-software http://dreamcast.wikidot.com/

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#142 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:02 am

SMiTH wrote:since no1 seems to care about sharing info for each online games dns entries or backup dns servers. i guess i don't give a damn either. although i do find it sad that the "community" chooses to take this route.

It's really odd that you've come up against resistance for DNS entries. It's not like this is some sort of privileged knowledge. If you have the online games, you could generate it yourself in an hour or so. But given that the list clearly exists for the dreampi DNS server to even be a thing, common courtesy would seem to be to send you a text file with the entries so you don't have to take the time recreating it.
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#143 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:48 pm

SEGA RPG FAN wrote:It's really odd that you've come up against resistance for DNS entries. It's not like this is some sort of privileged knowledge. If you have the online games, you could generate it yourself in an hour or so. But given that the list clearly exists for the dreampi DNS server to even be a thing, common courtesy would seem to be to send you a text file with the entries so you don't have to take the time recreating it.

Exactly.

Windows9X
photon blast

Re: [Release] DreamPi Companion | 2.1 released! BIG! (MAR/3/2020)

Post#144 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:54 pm

Greeting everyone, It's been a week.

Update 2.1 is available now for Windows, Mac OS and Linux! New features such as black listing certain games, caching (to increase performance (toggle-able)), settings screen and more. Also, a brand new downloadable theme, 'Wood Grain', for all you retro/486 enthusiasts out there!
Author of original DreamPi Companion..

Windows9X
photon blast

Post#145 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:36 am

I just realized there isn't a button for 'maximum pool' in the game's manager.

Don't drink and develop, lol! - I'll add it in a hotfix.

Wombat
Vagabond

Post#146 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:33 am

I just tried being part of the DreamPi Companion user base, unfortunately it seems I ran into some troubles. I downloaded the latest version, unpacked and ran the application directly from the folder, but I got the following error:

(when I check the files, both are present)

Am I making a stupid mistake or is there something else wrong? (I'm using Catalina)

Windows9X
photon blast

Post#147 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:22 am

Wombat wrote:I just tried being part of the DreamPi Companion user base, unfortunately it seems I ran into some troubles. I downloaded the latest version, unpacked and ran the application directly from the folder, but I got the following error:

(when I check the files, both are present)

Am I making a stupid mistake or is there something else wrong? (I'm using Catalina)

Hmm, that is very strange. My Mac is running EL Capitan. (10.11.6)
Base MacOS package runs out of the box, for me.

Please download 2.1_HOTFIX; Then in the data folder, create a file called 'debug.me'.
Post what 'APPSTEP.TXT' reports AND screenshot any error.

Windows9X
photon blast

Re: [Release] DreamPi Companion | 2.1.1 released! BIG! (MAR/5/2020)

Post#148 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:24 am

2.1.1 is now available.

dcdingo
Quad Damage

Post#149 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:23 pm

Amazing work fella, thanks!
PSO - Crimez (Lv136 FoNewm) / Revlis (Lv20 RaCast)
Anything else - dcdingo
YouTube Link

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#150 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:17 pm

Well it turns out that all of the information about the dns entries for each online dc game has always been available to us.

So if you go here: http://dreamcast.wikidot.com/
under games section / click on the game / dns is listed under domains and ports.

*thanks pcwzrd for this information

What might be a good function to add to dreampi companion would be a script that uses nslookup (nslookup "EXAMPLE.COM" 46.101.91.123) for each dns entry for each dc online game. Then it lists the current IP for each game server, and shows the status of each game server and the status of the master dns ONLINE/OFFLINE etc. (maybe even backup dns servers too?). Also an option to save the dns records to a text file so those who want to create a backup dns server or run game servers on lans etc. have that option.

Btw thank you to all of the people involved in the dc community that have created these crazy reverse engineered homebrew game servers, apps, isos, and methods. :D