Is 200GB/256GB necessarily going to be slow on GDEMU from 128GB?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

areyareadyherewego
photon blast

Re: Is 200GB/256GB necessarily going to be slow on GDEMU from 128GB?

Post#11 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:53 pm

Appreciate the clarification on both

If I mess with this I’ll probably just use a separate sd card

Don’t wanna be limited to 98 dc games

And how difficult in general has It been getting games to mesh with the beta?

And idea how the bleem beta leaked ? Was it a rogue former bleem employee, a fire yard sale, etc?

Always curious about these things. Did it leak recently hence all this traction?

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#12 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:24 pm

Its not limited to 98 dc games just wrote that as an example... you can use folders 02-9999 if you want. You can have bleemshell in folder 02 so its at the top of the list. Or down under all the DC games

01 gdmenu
02 bleemshell
03-9998 dc games
9999 psx game

Or
01 gdmenu
02 dc game
03 dc game
500 bleemshell
9999 psx cdi

Tough to explain maybe ill make a video...

You can read the other tinfoil bleem thread but we are thinking it was leaked over IRC by a guy named Xerox. Back in 2004

I started a thread at the end of last year asking how to selfboot games with a modern OS without burning CDs. Never did figure it out because megavolt85 released BleemShell. Post up in one of the several bleem threads if you have a request to get your favorite PSX game running.

areyareadyherewego
photon blast

Post#13 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:32 pm

Thanks !

Could I do
01 gdmenu
02-102 gdi’s
103 bleemcast
104-120 psx
121-130 gdi’s
131-140 psx

In other words mix of gdi and psx after bleemcast?

Just bc I could see that being hell otherwise changing / adding gdi’s

Also do they show up in gdmenu list (the psx games) or are they hidden

And do you just launch bleemcast from within gdmenu if you’re using both on sd card?

I’ll read the tinfoil thread for history I always find it fascinating the back stories

I’ll probably wait regardless and see if the real bleem (final beta) surfaces that has gamesave and fmv ability but I will definitely watch some videos just for fun

I love how much enthusiasm there still is behind this enigma

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#14 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:00 pm

All of the psx cdi will show up in gd menu as "generic application"
If you launch a psx.cdi with gd menu it will load to the DC boot menu and you can then load the DC music player and enjoy the CDDA music from that game. (Ridge Racer, N2O)
If you click Bleemshell from GDmenu it will load up the BS menu.
None of the DC games will show up in BleemShell only psx games "after" even if you just toss cdi files in on random folders it works fine.

If you want to give it a shot I say One, Omega Boost, Ridge Racer, N2O, GTA London, Gamera2000 are all Perfect+ ports!

Its going to be great for the retail discs to work on gdemu lots of ideas in the works, GT2 Plus, MGS Integral, Tekken 3 Gold!!

NightBreeze
fire

Post#15 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:04 am

areyareadyherewego wrote:Are people that are experiencing '3-5 minute load times' for menu with something like 256gb or above 128gb, just not configuring their cards correctly or whats going on here?

You will see long load times with any SD card, the more folders/images (e.g. 20+) you have on there, the longer the loading times will become. The reason you're seeing instant loading times are due to the GDMenu SD Maker creating a custom GDMenu image which contains a LIST.INI file that lists all your files and their names. Without that file, GDMenu checks each folder, one at a time. Each step requires sending a command to GDEMU to switch disc, then read some data from the disc, and then issue a command to switch to the next disc. It's a slow process.

areyareadyherewego
photon blast

Post#16 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:27 am

NightBreeze wrote:
areyareadyherewego wrote:Are people that are experiencing '3-5 minute load times' for menu with something like 256gb or above 128gb, just not configuring their cards correctly or whats going on here?

You will see long load times with any SD card, the more folders/images (e.g. 20+) you have on there, the longer the loading times will become. The reason you're seeing instant loading times are due to the GDMenu SD Maker creating a custom GDMenu image which contains a LIST.INI file that lists all your files and their names. Without that file, GDMenu checks each folder, one at a time. Each step requires sending a command to GDEMU to switch disc, then read some data from the disc, and then issue a command to switch to the next disc. It's a slow process.

I see well I guess thats moot then considering ill always be using gdmenu maker

areyareadyherewego
photon blast

Post#17 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:37 pm

deluxux wrote:All of the psx cdi will show up in gd menu as "generic application"

do you use separate sd cards one for dc one for bcs?

also how do you do in game reset back to bleemshell?

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#18 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:10 pm

areyareadyherewego wrote:I’ll probably wait regardless and see if the real bleem (final beta) surfaces that has gamesave and fmv ability but I will definitely watch some videos just for fun

Expect to wait for the rest of your life if it ever gets released. The beta we got was about 30% finished. They planned on a version that would handle 100 games each across 4 Bleem pack releases as they were known. When this became too much work and unfeasible to ensure a high compatibility rate and quality control, the decision was made to focus on a few of the top PSX games. Only 3 got done before they closed down from Sony taking them to cort. They won every time, but in the US you can take people to court to sue for anything even if you will not win. So they bankrupted them with having to defend themselves in legal fees.

No other versions have been leaked since that early beta. The only other times we had any new "developments" in Bleem were when the retails were finally cracked in 2009 to run from CDR backups, and again in 2011 when they were again hacked to skip disc check thus allowing additional games to be booted up with the retail emulator code which was completely different for each disc. So a very promising thing. I even got the community over at Theisozone, the site I moderated for like 6 years to help out. We got a decently small sized list going, but it still needs further testing. In those games that worked FMV's worked on all, analog worked on the GT2 and MGS emu discs. Tekken 3 never supported analog so that emulator lacked it altogether. Saves still never were confirmed working with the newer hacked version as far as other games went. They obviously saved still on the 3 official but that was it.

Only now, since japanese_cake announced in January 2019 that he had completely removed all protections from the MGS emulator, has it renewed interest in the emulator. So all of us old fans from years ago came back out of the woodwork and are hoping that once JC releases the protection free emulator code from the retails, it will open up a lot better compatibility. Megavolt85's new Bleemshell app is pretty great and in the future he plans on having built in Gameshark/Action Replay/Codebreaker cheat code support built right in. As well as possibly foxing FMV support from the beta emulator. He also would add the new retail binaries directly into his menu and that should mean we can choose which of those cores to use to load games as it would allow for larger compatibility.

Additionally megavolt was looking into working on a way to interface directly with the PSX controller and memory cards from the Dreamcast motherboard. So he thinks it may still be possible to get saves working yet! :mrgreen:

So yes, this is way more than we ever thought would happen with Bleem so late into the Dreamcast's life, but I think this is as good as we could logically hope for. That more complete E3 Bleem beta build is out there, at least 1 person is known to possibly have it besides Randy Linden if he even kept any of his old files from Bleem in the first place? So never say never, stranger things have happened.

areyareadyherewego wrote:also how do you do in game reset back to bleemshell?

All the info for that is in the Bleemshell .cdi thread. But to answer the question. A+B+X+Y+Start to soft reset the game you are playing. A+B+X+Y+D-Pad down to fully hard reset the console back to Bleemshell menu.

areyareadyherewego
photon blast

Post#19 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:25 pm

Anthony817 wrote:
areyareadyherewego wrote:I’ll probably wait regardless and see if the real bleem (final beta) surfaces that has gamesave and fmv ability but I will definitely watch some videos just for fun

Expect to wait for the rest of your life if it ever gets released. The beta we got was about 30% finished. They planned on a version that would handle 100 games each across 4 Bleem pack releases as they were known. When this became too much work and unfeasible to ensure a high compatibility rate and quality control, the decision was made to focus on a few of the top PSX games. Only 3 got done before they closed down from Sony taking them to cort. They won every time, but in the US you can take people to court to sue for anything even if you will not win. So they bankrupted them with having to defend themselves in legal fees.

No other versions have been leaked since that early beta. The only other times we had any new "developments" in Bleem were when the retails were finally cracked in 2009 to run from CDR backups, and again in 2011 when they were again hacked to skip disc check thus allowing additional games to be booted up with the retail emulator code which was completely different for each disc. So a very promising thing. I even got the community over at Theisozone, the site I moderated for like 6 years to help out. We got a decently small sized list going, but it still needs further testing. In those games that worked FMV's worked on all, analog worked on the GT2 and MGS emu discs. Tekken 3 never supported analog so that emulator lacked it altogether. Saves still never were confirmed working with the newer hacked version as far as other games went. They obviously saved still on the 3 official but that was it.

Only now, since japanese_cake announced in January 2019 that he had completely removed all protections from the MGS emulator, has it renewed interest in the emulator. So all of us old fans from years ago came back out of the woodwork and are hoping that once JC releases the protection free emulator code from the retails, it will open up a lot better compatibility. Megavolt85's new Bleemshell app is pretty great and in the future he plans on having built in Gameshark/Action Replay/Codebreaker cheat code support built right in. As well as possibly foxing FMV support from the beta emulator. He also would add the new retail binaries directly into his menu and that should mean we can choose which of those cores to use to load games as it would allow for larger compatibility.

Additionally megavolt was looking into working on a way to interface directly with the PSX controller and memory cards from the Dreamcast motherboard. So he thinks it may still be possible to get saves working yet! :mrgreen:

So yes, this is way more than we ever thought would happen with Bleem so late into the Dreamcast's life, but I think this is as good as we could logically hope for. That more complete E3 Bleem beta build is out there, at least 1 person is known to possibly have it besides Randy Linden if he even kept any of his old files from Bleem in the first place? So never say never, stranger things have happened.

areyareadyherewego wrote:also how do you do in game reset back to bleemshell?

All the info for that is in the Bleemshell .cdi thread. But to answer the question. A+B+X+Y+Start to soft reset the game you are playing. A+B+X+Y+D-Pad down to fully hard reset the console back to Bleemshell menu.

Thanks for all that background info -- aprpecaite it!. and you like to keep your bs separate from dc sd cards, or all in the same? do you use an sd card extender with your clone gdemu or just slide the sd card in and out of the slot a lot? and whats your favorite game on bs?

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#20 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:51 pm

Yeah, I keep them on a separate card. I don't have any 3d printed tray or SD card extenders in mine. Would love one in the future though. But I just like them in the slot on the GDEMU.

As for favorite game? Mh, right now I play a lot of Starfighter 3000 on it. A great early flight game with 3D terrain deformation. It originally released on the Acorn PC, and then a superior port was made for the 3DO console. I loved that version. The Saturn, PSX and PC ports were kind of different with not as large view distance as the 3DO port, and the ship was a different color. The one on 3DO had a green ship and the PSX and Saturn and PC ports had a tan colored ship. I would like to see if maybe there could be a texture mod for the PSX version to make it look more like the 3DO one but eh. It is still really fun.

You can't really read the menus as they are glitchy, just keep pressing start until you get into the game. First stage it wants you to test flying around and docking with the mothership. But it is such a fun game I really get lost in it.

Here is the PSX version, which looks WAY smoother on Bleem. Only change to the in game graphics is the sky is dark, but everything else looks much the same just with AA, Bilinear texture filtering and rendered at a crisp 480p. The soundtrack unfortunately isn't working... Yet! It is XA audio so maybe we can figure out how to get that format working in the future as it has a killer early 90's electronic soundtrack.

There is a program that converts XA PSX audio to WAV format for games to support custom soundtracks, so maybe this can work?

https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/894/

Fast forward to 9:20 mins in to see actual gameplay of the PSX version.

Here is the superior 3DO version, she is a real looker!