Edit pso save file

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

wanos463
rebel

Edit pso save file

Post#1 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:45 am

Hi, is it possible to edit the access and serial no. on a characters save file? I was using a shared key, but have bought a sealed copy for the key so I can register it and take part in the server events. Only problem is Im gutted to lose all my progress as my character saves are now unusable.

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Re: Edit pso save file

Post#2 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:17 pm

Barubary wrote:The serial number is stored in the flash ROM of your Dreamcast when you enter it for the first time when you choose New Game (this is before creating a character). The access key you enter is ignored, but the serial number is not - it is written to flash ROM along with the current time. The serial number you enter is used as a key to encrypt your character files so that you can't share them with others. The time of this flash ROM entry is sent as your Dricas email account to the PSO server to effectively lock your serial number and access key to that particular Dreamcast.

When you play the American Version 2 after Version 1, regardless of where that Version 1 came from, it will *force* you to enter your Version 1 information. This is a serious design flaw that also caused many complaints in Japan with the Japanese Version 2. This is even true if you don't have the game anymore. As a result, your Japanese or European Version 1 information is used here.

The only way around this problem is to reset your flash ROM back to blank, erasing all stored information like your ISP and, most importantly, your PSO serial numbers. This can only be done by people with a CD burner and considerable knowledge. It is not illegal because the program you burn to CD-R is not copyrighted. I'm not going to cover where to find this information.

After resetting the flash ROM, call Sega to have your serial number reset. Then set up your ISP information in your web browser again. It should work after that.

Aleron Ives wrote:DC validates your keys. PC does not. You can't make up a random DC serial, as the game will reject it.

BlueCrab wrote:As Ives said, the PC version does no validation of the key, where the Dreamcast one does (probably at least partially as a region lock -- since you can't use a US key on a Japanese version of the game, for instance).

Me wrote:what if some1 removed the need to use a serial access key all together? not even using shared keys.
is this even possible?
seems it would be if the hunters license check was removed already from some versions of the game.
why not allow unencrypted raw save data that uses no keys at all.

BlueCrab wrote:Therein lies the problem. I'd have no way of uniquely identifying one client from another and no way of persisting the guild cards. Would it be possible to do this, sure. Is anyone going to spend time doing it? Probably not.

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#3 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:28 pm

Do the flash erase CDI disc from PSO Palace? Then the game will prompt you for it after you load character

Just see if takes a chit is all o.0

BlueCrab
Developer

Post#4 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:57 pm

wanos463 wrote:Hi, is it possible to edit the access and serial no. on a characters save file? I was using a shared key, but have bought a sealed copy for the key so I can register it and take part in the server events. Only problem is Im gutted to lose all my progress as my character saves are now unusable.
I can facilitate using the /save and /restore commands on the server to transfer your character's appearance, level, and inventory items (not banked ones) to a new key. If you'd like to do that, let me know (either by PM on the Sylverant discord, or here -- although I'll probably see the message quicker on discord).

wanos463
rebel

Post#5 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:17 pm

mistamontiel wrote:Do the flash erase CDI disc from PSO Palace? Then the game will prompt you for it after you load character

Just see if takes a chit is all o.0

Im beyond that, a new key has already been written to the dc, the problem is, u can no longer load old characters afterwards because the save file has a different key to the dc's.

wanos463
rebel

Post#6 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:18 pm

BlueCrab wrote:
wanos463 wrote:Hi, is it possible to edit the access and serial no. on a characters save file? I was using a shared key, but have bought a sealed copy for the key so I can register it and take part in the server events. Only problem is Im gutted to lose all my progress as my character saves are now unusable.
I can facilitate using the /save and /restore commands on the server to transfer your character's appearance, level, and inventory items (not banked ones) to a new key. If you'd like to do that, let me know (either by PM on the Sylverant discord, or here -- although I'll probably see the message quicker on discord).

Thanks, I'll be in touch.

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#7 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:36 pm

login to my server and i can restore your NOL character.
j/k