DCHDMI issues

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

jason8802
rebel

DCHDMI issues

Post#1 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:49 am

Having problems with output to my TV. On firmware 4.3 and set to standard, forced VGA, 960p. Plays fine for the most part but occasionally picture hops around on screen and goes black for a sec at a time and audio mutes for a few secs (sort of like its losing sync? I'm not tech savvy) Trying different hdmi cables and setting the resolution to anything other the 960p doesn't solve problem. Also tried on my computer monitor and issue still persists. Thoughts on how to fix this? Maybe I've got a bad setting somewhere? I'd like to downgrade the firmware for the hell of it and see what that does, but after searching online for a bit I can't figure out how. Was not installed by me.

azel
fire

Re: DCHDMI issues

Post#2 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:11 pm

If you go to Firmware -> Configure are you on the standard or relaxed firmware? I had some weird issues with my monitor and 960p mode. I just keep it at 1080p as it works perfect every time, 960p mode my monitor would have a similar issue to yours but it sounds like you have tested at 1080p as well.

If you are on relaxed I would definitely switch to standard firmware for troubleshooting as it is fully hdmi compliant.

edit: I'm dumb, you said it's set to standard. Not sure what it could be if 1080p is doing it as well :(

jason8802
rebel

Re: DCHDMI issues

Post#3 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:48 pm

I've gone through every permutation as far as cable swapping, different displays, different resolutions, standard firmware and relaxed. Strangely enough I haven't been able to reproduce the issue on the Dreamcast menu. It's particularly bad in Sonic adventure 2. Played 2 hours of phantasy star yesterday and diddn't have one issue pop up. Could be a coincidence, but it seems to vary game to game. Sucks that the problem is intermittent-almost would be better if it diddn't work at all. At this point I guess I'll mail my modded Dreamcast back to the guy who installed it and see if he can troubleshoot it. Weird that it seems to happen worse on some games-not at all on others. Wonder if anybody else has had issues with firmware 4.3.