DreamPi connection issues

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Blayer98
Anarki

DreamPi connection issues

Post#1 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:41 pm

Hi there,

I seem to keep running into connection issues with the following setup:

Dreamcast > DreamPi > Wi-Fi to Secondary Router so I can DMZ my Dreamcast > Secondary Router to my Main Router which is used for Internet, and connected via Ethernet.

This should be fine, but even with DMZ on my Dreamcast, and even DMZ'ing my secondary router on my main router, stuff like in Planet Ring occurs where I sometimes get trapped in attractions with the attraction maintenance option or the player list in the top right corner doesn't show up for a couple seconds or even for a minute or two, and sometimes it works fine for a bit but then it just starts having issues.

IGP I've had issues with where the connection just keeps failing with challenges, I can never seem to get someone to see I'm challenging them or vice versa or while in a game with people and it cuts out and says that the other player left but declares them the winner but I also got points for winning????

Even with games that don't have DMZ I seem to keep running into issues where I get disconnected for no reason... It's strange since I've played PSO for hours on end and had no issues... The disconnects always seem to be random and I don't know why...

I've also had an issue where the connection will be fine and stuff loads fine on web browsers but if I leave the Dreamcast idle for a bit and the connection's still connected (I removed the timer for the auto disconnect in settings) then the connection will just not do anything and just stay loading and never load the page, so I have to unplug and re-plug in my DreamPi and connect again... All of this never happened until recently...

Xiden
Developer

Re: DreamPi connection issues

Post#2 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:03 pm

Do you have anything on your network using xx.xx.xx.98 ip?

Blayer98
Anarki

Post#3 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:48 pm

I don’t think so no, otherwise I wouldn’t be able to play Planet Ring or Internet Game Pack, and I don’t have any way of getting my Dreamcast’s IP address since I only have the PAL version of Quake III Arena so...

Xiden
Developer

Post#4 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:44 am

Blayer98 wrote:I don’t think so no, otherwise I wouldn’t be able to play Planet Ring or Internet Game Pack, and I don’t have any way of getting my Dreamcast’s IP address since I only have the PAL version of Quake III Arena so...

I think the dreampi assigns the dreamcast another ip if 98 is in use (cant remember). I feel like someone else in the forums had this issue not long ago. For me, I have a faulty power board issue where I have to disassemble the dreamcast and remove and clean power supply pins and reassemble, otherwise my modem will have very poor connection speed. If everything worked at one point and then suddenly stopped maybe this is something to try?

You might PM pcwzrd13, I know hes out a couple weeks but he may be able to pop in and provide some advice, he tends to be able to diagnose this stuff quickly.

If possible try isolating your internet where its just the dreampi/ dreamcast. (Dmz the .98 ip of course) and see if that corrects the issue. If you login to your router with 192.168.1.1 for example make sure your DMZ subnet is correct so in this case it would be 192.168.1.98

Blayer98
Anarki

Post#5 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:05 am

Xiden wrote:
Blayer98 wrote:I don’t think so no, otherwise I wouldn’t be able to play Planet Ring or Internet Game Pack, and I don’t have any way of getting my Dreamcast’s IP address since I only have the PAL version of Quake III Arena so...

I think the dreampi assigns the dreamcast another ip if 98 is in use (cant remember). I feel like someone else in the forums had this issue not long ago. For me, I have a faulty power board issue where I have to disassemble the dreamcast and remove and clean power supply pins and reassemble, otherwise my modem will have very poor connection speed. If everything worked at one point and then suddenly stopped maybe this is something to try?

You might PM pcwzrd13, I know hes out a couple weeks but he may be able to pop in and provide some advice, he tends to be able to diagnose this stuff quickly.

If possible try isolating your internet where its just the dreampi/ dreamcast. (Dmz the .98 ip of course) and see if that corrects the issue. If you login to your router with 192.168.1.1 for example make sure your DMZ subnet is correct so in this case it would be 192.168.1.98

My IP subnet is correct, I checked my system and I don't see any faults with it, I also checked my modem as well to see if there was a problem there, but nope...

megavolt85
Developer

Post#6 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:22 am

Recently my provider stopped giving me white IP
I have to reboot my modem several times until the provider assigns me a white IP
Check if you may have the same problem
Look which IP is assigned to WAN interface and compare it with what is specified in the yandex when requesting "my IP", if they do not match, then you have a gray IP