Advice for newcomer on buying a first Dreamcast?

Discuss Dreamcast related events and other Dreamcast websites here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

SambaDeAmigo
noob

Advice for newcomer on buying a first Dreamcast?

Post#1 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:29 am

Hello everyone,
I just signed up on this forum as I am thinking about buying my first Dreamcast, but I have two options, so I'd like to know your opinion, which one should I get.

Option A is Dreamcast Online pack, which seems to be an original Dreamcast with Chu-Chu Rocket.
Option B is a modded Dreamcast, that has a switch to play NTSC-U and NTSC-J games in addition to PAL. I live in PAL region and have a modern PAL TV, so I'm not sure if this will complicate things with NTSC region games.

Any other tips on buying Dreamcast are certainly welcomed as well, as I am completely new to this system.
Thank you to everyone in advance!

Sega RPG

Re: Advice for newcomer on buying a first Dreamcast?

Post#2 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:53 pm

As much as i love original things i would go for pack 2 as if you plan to buy original games then japanese and usa ones are much cheaper than pal ones (sometimes that much cheaper) plus chu chu rocket is a game you can find for a few bucks in every format (pal, usa and jap)

This unless the price difference is really that much, then you can buy pack a and then buy an xploder disc to run imports

Prices for both packs?

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#3 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:25 pm

Almost all burns CDIs they're going to be region-free. And also VGA output is going to be your best display since that's going to run 60hz

If there is a title that never localized to PAL region but like to have the authentic one you would be boot-discing to bypass region lockout

As for DreamPi later in your splendid future the region does not matter all of us get to play together =}

SambaDeAmigo
noob

Post#4 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:27 pm

247 wrote:As much as i love original things i would go for pack 2 as if you plan to buy original games then japanese and usa ones are much cheaper than pal ones (sometimes that much cheaper) plus chu chu rocket is a game you can find for a few bucks in every format (pal, usa and jap)

This unless the price difference is really that much, then you can buy pack a and then buy an xploder disc to run imports

Prices for both packs?

Hi,
Thank you for your reply!
The prices for consoles are: Original - 180€ and Modded - 120€.

SambaDeAmigo
noob

Post#5 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:45 pm

mistamontiel wrote:Almost all burns CDIs they're going to be region-free. And also VGA output is going to be your best display since that's going to run 60hz

If there is a title that never localized to PAL region but like to have the authentic one you would be boot-discing to bypass region lockout

As for DreamPi later in your splendid future the region does not matter all of us get to play together =}

Hi,
Thanks for the tips!
I'll look up a VGA box for my display and I'll definitely need to get DreamPi for online games.

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#6 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:16 pm

Or VGA cable. I use VGA cables on all 5 of my Dreamcasts
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Sega RPG

Post#7 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:33 am

SambaDeAmigo wrote:
247 wrote:As much as i love original things i would go for pack 2 as if you plan to buy original games then japanese and usa ones are much cheaper than pal ones (sometimes that much cheaper) plus chu chu rocket is a game you can find for a few bucks in every format (pal, usa and jap)

Prices for both packs?

Hi,
Thank you for your reply!
The prices for consoles are: Original - 180€ and Modded - 120€.

In this case i guess you already have the answer here, and then spend the rest to buy a dreampi :p

SambaDeAmigo
noob

Post#8 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:37 am

247 wrote:In this case i guess you already have the answer here, and then spend the rest to buy a dreampi :p

Yes, I bought the modded Dreamcast and I'll get a DreamPi a bit later.
Thank you for your help!

Sega RPG

Post#9 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:10 am

Welcome aboard then :)