Industrial-strength LVI

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

MrTamkis
rebel

Industrial-strength LVI

Post#1 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:13 pm

A while ago, my DIY Line Voltage Inducer (LVI) for my DreamPi broke yet again, and instead of digging out the soldering iron and repairing it for the upteenth time, I decided to overhaul the design. (The ends of the fragile RJ11 cord pins must have gotten strained, and the solder broke loose on the RJ11 pins. Tiny, stripped 24 AWG gauge wire inside RJ11 cable is a complete pain to deal with and to solder down tightly, especially since it's tiny stranded wire, not solid-core.)

LVI1_2.jpg

My original LVI

Instead, I replaced it with a DIY, industrial-strength, solderless LVI, which I'm showing off today. For those who want to create their own DIY LVI, who don't have the ability to solder, or who just struggle dealing with stripped RJ11 wire like me, this is probably the best design out there. And it fits into a fancy case to boot!

It uses 2 RJ11 wall plates (which attach the RJ11 pins to user-friendly spade terminals and screws on its keystone), solid-core copper jumper wires stripped and crimped with spade terminals, and a mini-breadboard for the LVI circuity itself. Everything fits into a small metal tin, which can easily be found for cheap at craft stores. Holes were Dremeled out to fit the RJ11 wall plate keystones, wall plate screw holes were drilled out to the top/bottom, and the plates were tightened down to the top/bottom of the tin with short screws and nuts/washers. The black, green, and yellow pins between the RJ11 wall plates were just jumped (direct connection), while the red pin was jumped over to a small breadboard. That mini breadboard has the LVI circuity for applying the voltage, and is attached to the bottom of the case with the adhesive tape on the bottom of the breadboard. Total cost was ~<$15 USD, and the circuit implemented is just the simple LVI from online-consoles website.

Pictures:
LVI2_4.jpg

LVI2_10.JPG

LVI2_11.JPG

LVI2_14.jpg

LVI2_12a.jpg

LVI2_12b.jpg

LVI2_13.jpg

I'm also curious to see other member's LVIs :).
Last edited by MrTamkis on Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DreamPi DX NOOBS-Compatible Image:
Forum thread
Project page

XBandPi NOOBS-Compatible Image:
Project page

"Industrial-Strength" LVI (DIY)
Forum thread
Blog article

MrTamkis
rebel

Re: Industrial-strength LVI

Post#2 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:17 pm

Not to double-post/bump, but I finally finished this industrial-strength LVI, with a proper, dedicated mini-breadboard for the unit :). The case finally closes now and the unit a self-contained, portable, solidly-built DIY LVI. (Pics and description updated in OP.)
Forum thread
Project page

Project page

Forum thread
Blog article

mstar
Doom

Post#3 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:50 am

Thats looking really good and the use of wall plates is a good idea!

Can you add a picture that shows the outside?

MrTamkis
rebel

Post#4 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:01 pm

Yep; added some pics of the outside and with a 9V battery to the OP.
Forum thread
Project page

Project page

Forum thread
Blog article

megavolt85
Developer

Post#5 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:37 pm

Industrial-strength LVI with battery inside :lol:
More like an amateur 's work

allbushnopush
shadow

Post#6 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:02 pm

No reason to be mean @megavolt85. The guy is just posting his homemade LVI. Obviously there are better methods than 9v battery. There is no reason to insult him.

megavolt85
Developer

Post#7 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:17 pm

I only pointed out the mismatch between the title of the topic and its content
I don 't understand where you saw the insult

Return to “Online”