Thoughts or ideas about dreamcast game mods

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
SMiTH
Black Mesa

Thoughts or ideas about dreamcast game mods

Post#1 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:18 am

I figured that I would ask what dreamcast game mods people might be interested in.
Obviously I am limited as to what I can actually do.
Hex editing, model swapping, texture swapping, simple mods.
Any ideas?
Last edited by SMiTH on Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Re: Thoughts or ideas about dreamcast game mods

Post#2 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:28 am

Half-Life mods. I was meaning to try and do some of these for a while now, but honestly have not a lot of free time anymore. I am already knee deep in a few mods I am doing for Batlefield games and on my 3rd total conversion mod now.

Another possibility, modding 4X4 Evo, and Kiss: Physho Circus. Those games are both Windows CE ports, and the Lithtech engine in Kiss was used on quite a few games on PC. So maybe some content could be ported from a few into the Kiss DC port?

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#3 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:30 am

I can try but I am limited as to what I can do.
It has to be simple stuff.
If it is something that requires ASM, then I am out of luck.
Also I have never tried porting anything.
So I doubt I could do that either.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#4 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:21 am

From what I understand it is just model and map swaps. The PC stuff can work on DC, but you just get better performance if you take the time to convert the textures to PVR format. We can't use more advanced mods that require .dll loading. So pretty much many EARLY mods can work as They Hunger, and U.S.S. Dark Star are total conversions built on that principal and both have ports to DC.

Paranoia was a special case where that mod was ported over with help from the actual mod developers.

Krootox1986
letterbomb

Post#5 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:46 am

If you can make a sonic adventure mod where its just the sonic levels remixed and changed etc I'd be grateful lol. I loved sonic adventure 1&2 but those knuckles levels are soul destroying

beanboy
Wazza

Post#6 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:56 pm

SMiTH wrote:I figured that I would ask what dreamcast game mods people might be interested in.
Obviously I am limited as to what I can actually do.
Hex editing, model swapping, texture swapping, simple mods.
Any ideas?

The texture swapping thing sounds really cool.

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#7 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:27 am

Id like to see HD audio or HD Fmv's in games one day now we have fast loading Gdemus and 4gb cdi

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#8 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:22 pm

The Sonic Heroes mod is an awesome idea being done elsewhere. I'm wondering if a good place to start would be to do a similar "demake" with another title.

Maybe make Yakuza out of Shenmue lol

Or more realistically, perhaps re-skin a Racing game (such as Buggy Heat or Daytona USA, OR POD2 so an online version is doable) to replace the cars with famous Sega cars (the Hornet from Daytona USA, the Toyota Celica from Sega Rally, the Ferrari Testarossa from OutRun, Ferrari F355 from F355 Challenge, the F1 car from the early 90s Virtua Racing, Axel's taxi from Crazy Taxi, a truck from 18 Wheeler Pro Trucker, the Tomcat from AfterBurner, a buggy from Buggy Heat, the Twinkle Circuit buggy from Sonic Adventure, Eggmans Egg-o-Matic etc...)
You could also retexture the levels to give them aesthetics more akin to levels from Sega games.

I dunno how hard any of this is

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#9 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:33 am

I will figure something out.

Ryo_Hazuki
killer

Post#10 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:19 pm

Good evening! I could suggest modification for Formula 1 or soccer games with current teams. it would be possible?