SEGA Rally 2 or V-Rally 2: Expert Edition?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42

Poll: Which do you prefer. SEGA Rally 2 or V-Rally 2: Expert Edition?

SEGA Rally 2
33%
V-Rally 2: Expert Edition
29%
They're both awesome
33%
They're both terrible
5%
Total votes: 21

beanboy
Wazza

Re: SEGA Rally 2 or V-Rally 2: Expert Edition?

Post#11 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:23 pm

I'm doing the championship modes, in V Rally 2 Expert Edition these days. It's a really fun game.
And I unlocked 3 new cars so far. But I took a break from it, to unlock stuff in Test Drive Le Mans. I'll be back at it again, in a few days.

PS: I never played the first V Rally game though. But I heard it was cool.

louis012345678
Doom

Post#12 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:38 am

The first V-Rally game is awesome (I'm slightly biased though because it was the first ever game I can remember playing). The controls are really twitchy though because it was released before the dualshock came out but the physics are hilariously floaty and even the slightest tap of the wall can send you flying. The soundtrack is great too.

beanboy
Wazza

Post#13 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:29 pm

louis012345678 wrote:The first V-Rally game is awesome (I'm slightly biased though because it was the first ever game I can remember playing). The controls are really twitchy though because it was released before the dualshock came out but the physics are hilariously floaty and even the slightest tap of the wall can send you flying. The soundtrack is great too.

Yeah. I have heard alot of gamers, and a few people on this forum, say the same thing.
I'm definitely going to play, V Rally 1 of these days.

aldair
Metallic

Post#14 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:48 pm

It's Gran Turismo !!!!!!!!

Dreamcast racing games the cars floats on the road.

louis012345678
Doom

Post#15 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:39 pm

This has nothing to do with Gran Turismo. Don't get me wrong, I love Gran Turismo and it's one of my favourite franchises but it's not a rally racing game or an Arcade game so it's obviously going to have a completely different handling model...

beanboy
Wazza

Post#16 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:48 pm

aldair wrote:It's Gran Turismo !!!!!!!!

:lol:

aldair wrote:Dreamcast racing games the cars floats on the road.

Floaty?
The interesting thing is, a few of those floaty racing games on the dreamcast, were also released before, or after, on the PS1 and PS2 as well. :lol:

louis012345678
Doom

Post#17 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:30 am

Yep. V-Rally 2 Expert Edition is a port of the PS1 version :lol:

aldair
Metallic

Post#18 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:08 am

beanboy wrote:
aldair wrote:It's Gran Turismo !!!!!!!!

:lol:

aldair wrote:Dreamcast racing games the cars floats on the road.

Floaty?
The interesting thing is, a few of those floaty racing games on the dreamcast, were also released before, or after, on the PS1 and PS2 as well. :lol:

Yes, but psx and ps2 have Gran Turismo!

BrandonDitto
shadow

Post#19 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:05 am

Honestly, I think Sega Rally 2 is one of Sega's lamest efforts on the Dreamcast. I believe they utilized Windows CE for it and performance is always lacking when I see that on any boot up for a Dreamcast game. It has a highly fluctuating framerate which is uncommon for a Dreamcast game (especially so for a Sega game). The game isn't particularly detailed, so it's baffling why Sega would release this as is. Environmental detail feels like it's from a previous generation. It's embarrassing when you see stuff like Le Mans and MSR running on Dreamcast. I like the control of the game. Gameplay feels a bit bland though even when compared to the Original Sega Rally. Maybe the courses are too drawn out (kind of too of long stretches of not much turning). Not a lot of elevation change. Original Sega Rally and Sega Rally 2006 on PS2 are MUCH better games in my opinion. The courses are tight and winding. 2006 on PS2 isn't talked about much but it's superb. Highly detailed environments. Exhilarating, winding courses where your attention is demanded at all times. I'm bitter Dreamcast didn't get this kind of effort from Sega for a rally game.

With that said, I prefer V-Rally to Sega Rally 2 on Dreamcast as well. It's visually much more interesting (more colorful and saturated as well--closer to the original Sega Rally). On a technical level, it performs solidly with a mostly 60 fps framerate. The variety of environments is vastly superior. Courses meander and you're turning and sliding almost always. Like Sega Rally 2006, it's just more exhilarating. I think that's feeling you want from a Rally game. I could see people liking Sega Rally 2 more for the higher sense of speed and sliding (where you don't lose much speed).

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#20 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:15 am

I agree the ntsc and pal release had 30fps but jap version runs a lot faster and is better to play if you have not tryed it