Line voltage inducer issue

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

NightBreeze
fire

Re: Line voltage inducer issue

Post#11 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:07 pm

Also, do check the pins on your Dreamcast modem, mine had stopped working recently, and after confirming my LVI works with another modem, I disassembled it and noticed the pins had shifted in position. Instead of having 4 pins going straight, I had 3 pins shifted so that the 3rd pin was sitting on top of the 4th.

They're pretty easy to correct after disassembling the modem though:

IMG_5438.jpg

(Unlike in picture, RJ11 cable must be disconnected when moving the pins!)

Although, my modem still doesn't work after correcting the pins :/

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#12 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:45 pm

I strongly suggest buying a DreamPi modem from PCwzrd13. It has a built-in LVI so you should be good. Worth doing if you can instead of the headache of troubleshooting.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Smoke99
undertow

Post#13 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:33 pm

So I got to the bottom of it and figured out the true issue. I bought the built in line voltage inducer from the DreamcastLive Shop. Then i even Redownloaded the Dreampi software just to be sure. And it STILL didn't work,. So then i borrowed my freinds dreamcast and tested everything on HIS dreamcast, and sure enough. It worked perfectly well, as the first message on the WebBrowsers connection test said "Dailing modem" aaaand went online successfully..and then i even put the modem from MY Dreamcast into his and tested it again, and it STILL worked. Then I hooked everything back into MY Dreamcast, and it STILL DIDN'T Work Again. When I press for it to connect on the same web browser disc. It just says "Init modem" and that's all.. so therefore it's nothing to do with ANYTHING else(not even the Dreamcast modem) except my very own Dreamcast Itself, because I tested ALL the SAME parts on the other dreamcast.. I have NO clue why my Dreamcast itself just can't go online and what the issue could possibly be with it.. Does Anybody have a clue what could be wrong wrong with my Dreamcast?
Last edited by Smoke99 on Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smoke99
undertow

Post#14 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:34 pm

20191014_034423.jpg

Sorry for the blurry image and will take another one soon. This is a #1(the first ones that can read burned CDs) and it's a black sega sports edition.. can someone figure out the possible issue with it?(its ONLY the Dreamcast that's the issue)

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#15 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:50 pm

You never actually mentioned what exactly the issue is. You just assumed your line voltage inducer wasn't working. You'll need to be more specific about what happens when you try and connect. What game/browser are you using? Does one of the lights on the USB modem turn off when you try and connect? Does the game/browser give you an error?
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

cargo
noob

Post#16 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:23 pm

I don't know if this have been mentioned before but I would check your Dreamcast ISP settings. Aldo did you try your friend's modem on your Dreamcast?

Smoke99
undertow

Post#17 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:16 pm

cargo wrote:I don't know if this have been mentioned before but I would check your Dreamcast ISP settings. Aldo did you try your friend's modem on your Dreamcast?
. I Have Tried my freinds modem on my Dreamcast and still no connection. But checking my ISP settings is something I never thought of, so I'll give that one a TRY.. thank you

Smoke99
undertow

Post#18 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:57 pm

Its not the ISP on my web browser 2.0 .. I used the same setting configurations as my freinds working dreamcast and still not working. So its not the isp or anything. I think its just my Dreamcast alone that's the issue. Everything starts working fine, none of the issues that were questioned don't happen.. only thing is myDreamcast just simply doesn't connect. It just stays stuck with the message "Init modem" and that's all

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#19 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:30 pm

Smoke99 wrote:It just stays stuck with the message "Init modem" and that's all

That sounds like the Dreamcast can't communicate with the modem. Since you ruled out the modem being the issue, it would have to be a problem with the modem port. It's either damaged or maybe just has some dirty contacts. You might try cleaning the contacts with some alcohol.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

James.tur.uk
noob

Post#20 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:10 am

If you’re using a PAL system you need to make sure you have an 18v induction, that’s two batters daisy chained into the circuit