AV Output and 5v pin

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Flavio-Neves
shadow

AV Output and 5v pin

Post#1 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:27 pm

Hello guys,

I hope you all are pretty awesome today.

I searched a lot over Google and even risked to try to find some way to do it myself, but I'm afraid to damage my beloved DC.

So I decided to cry for help with you guys, the experts in this matter. The problem is, I bought an Akura Box to output to HDMI, but their support helped me to find out that my console is not outputting 5v through the AV output port.

Is there a way to fix it?

I attached a picture of said port connections to help pint it out, in the picture, the connection number 4 is my problem.

I would appreciate your help, a lot.

Thank you all for your time and patience.
Attachments
Audio Video Dreamcast.png

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Re: AV Output and 5v pin

Post#2 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:56 pm

I had this issue with one of my Dreamcasts. It's very simple to fix if you know how to solder. Just run a wire from the A/V port's 5v pin to the 5v rail on the power supply connector. I'm sure there are other 5v connections you could run it to as well.

5v DC.jpg
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Flavio-Neves
shadow

Post#3 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:52 pm

Oh, thank you so much. I'll do it right away.

I knew this forum was this awesome.

I'll be back to say if this worked in case someone need this information in the future.

Flavio-Neves
shadow

Post#4 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:36 pm

It worked \o/

Thanks again, your help was great :)

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#5 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:41 pm

Flavio-Neves wrote:It worked \o/

Thanks again, your help was great :)

Awesome! Glad I could help! :)
PSO Characters:

BlueCrab
Developer

Post#6 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:19 pm

Please note that doing this does run the risk of breaking something else in the console in the future. The problem that you're having is that there is a fuse inside the console that has blown because something has shorted the +5v pin to (probably) ground on your A/V port (or possibly on the serial port, as I think they share the same fuses) at some point.

Just be careful if you've done what's suggested here instead of replacing the surface-mount fuse, which would be the proper way to fix it...

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#7 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:02 pm

BlueCrab wrote:The problem that you're having is that there is a fuse inside the console that has blown

Yeah I figured that was probably what happened. That or a diode. Just not sure where it's located. I'll have to take a multimeter to my board and see if I can find it.
PSO Characters:

BlueCrab
Developer

Post#8 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:32 pm

It is right near the A/V port and the serial port on the top side of the board. There should be three similar components nearby, one for the +12v line, one for the +5v line, and one for +3.3v. I think on VA1 boards they should be labeled R619, R620, and R621 (I forget which one is for which voltage, but that should be easy to determine with a multimeter). They should be black rectangular things that say 05, 10, or 20 on them. On some revisions of the board, they may have been replaced by 0 ohm resistors (which will just say 000 on them), which should function similarly anyway.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#9 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:53 am

I'm such an idiot. lol I searched the entire bottom of the board for R619-R621 before I noticed you said they were on the top. :lol:

Anyway, it's R619. I circled it on all three revisions in the attached picture. I think a 0.2A or 0.3A SMD fuse should be the proper replacement if I'm not mistaken. They're not 20A and 30A are they? That seems way too high.

Well assuming they're in the 0.2A-0.3A range, there are some resettable ones on eBay here.

Edit: They're 2A and 3A fuses as mentioned by BlueCrab below.

R619.jpg
PSO Characters:

BlueCrab
Developer

Post#10 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:10 pm

The VA1 one in your picture (marked 20) is a 1A rated fuse (fusing current being 2A), where the VA2 one in your picture (marked 30) is a 1.5A rated fuse (with a fusing current of 3A). The part number should be CCP2B20 (VA1) or CCP2B30 (VA2) to get an "exact" replacement part.

As for the VA0 board, that's a 0 ohm resistor, which should be pretty easy to find (or it should be able to be replaced with one of the parts I mentioned above).

For reference, a datasheet for the parts is attached... Dunno if it helps at all, but I had it handy from searching for them at some point in the past.
Attachments
datasheet.pdf
(204.88 KiB) Downloaded 448 times