Would love to help in getting the Shenmue Passport back online

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Robfozz
rebel

Would love to help in getting the Shenmue Passport back online

Post#1 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:53 pm

Hello!
It's come to my attention that the Shenmue Passport hasn't come to DreamPi yet. I don't have the knowhow to get it working, but if the people who work on getting these things back online are interested, most of the things that utilized the connection are archived/available still.

Things that could be fixed:
-Downloadable VMU goodies have been archived and are available online
-The character bios that were streamed into the model viewer could be added back as they are available online on the Shenmue Wiki.
-PDF scans of the manual are available for the online manual function

Things that might take some extra time:
-Urgent Messages & Nozomis Messages
These don't seem to be archived anywhere, at least not in full. I would have to do some investigative work around the Shenmue Dojo forums and see if anyone has a text dump or something.
-Online Rankings could be difficult to implement
-Shenmue.com doesn't exist anymore obviously but maybe it could be possible to redirect to a web archive version of it?

Any other features I haven't mentioned on the passport are actually natively on the disc and work perfectly fine, just locked behind a connection for whatever reason.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in getting this up and running Id be more than happy to round up all the materials that would be needed to make it happen. Thanks for reading!
Pepperonium

dave_van_damn
Graffiti Grind

Re: Would love to help in getting the Shenmue Passport back online

Post#2 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:10 pm

aka DavidHK on DC games.

Xiden
Developer

Re: Would love to help in getting the Shenmue Passport back online

Post#3 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:25 pm

Robfozz wrote:Hello!
It's come to my attention that the Shenmue Passport hasn't come to DreamPi yet. I don't have the knowhow to get it working, but if the people who work on getting these things back online are interested, most of the things that utilized the connection are archived/available still.

Things that could be fixed:
-Downloadable VMU goodies have been archived and are available online
-The character bios that were streamed into the model viewer could be added back as they are available online on the Shenmue Wiki.
-PDF scans of the manual are available for the online manual function

Things that might take some extra time:
-Urgent Messages & Nozomis Messages
These don't seem to be archived anywhere, at least not in full. I would have to do some investigative work around the Shenmue Dojo forums and see if anyone has a text dump or something.
-Online Rankings could be difficult to implement
-Shenmue.com doesn't exist anymore obviously but maybe it could be possible to redirect to a web archive version of it?

Any other features I haven't mentioned on the passport are actually natively on the disc and work perfectly fine, just locked behind a connection for whatever reason.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in getting this up and running Id be more than happy to round up all the materials that would be needed to make it happen. Thanks for reading!

PM sent