Dreamcast black screen in game

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

phantom
noob

Dreamcast black screen in game

Post#1 » Thu May 30, 2019 7:29 pm

hi,

i have been searching far and wide for a fix to this and thought i would come here to ask. i've been playing skies of arcadia and i've been having a great time (i LOVE this game so much), and just got to the point where vyse and aika have to save fina. they go to the ladder to get to upper valua, marco tries to tell them to stay but they go anyway. after that it's just a black screen.

i don't know what to do? i'm not sure if its an issue with my dreamcast or the disc itself. if it's the disc, i really cant afford to replace it (the game goes for an obscene amount of money online. don't know why). i tried cleaning the laser with a cotton swab and putting the disc up to the light to see if there was any data loss. when i turn the dreamcast off the disc stops spinning so that must mean it's at least trying to read something. i really would like to continue this game, anything would help, thank you so much:)

beanboy
Wazza

Re: Dreamcast black screen in game

Post#2 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:43 pm

phantom wrote:hi,

i have been searching far and wide for a fix to this and thought i would come here to ask. i've been playing skies of arcadia and i've been having a great time (i LOVE this game so much), and just got to the point where vyse and aika have to save fina. they go to the ladder to get to upper valua, marco tries to tell them to stay but they go anyway. after that it's just a black screen.

i don't know what to do? i'm not sure if its an issue with my dreamcast or the disc itself. if it's the disc, i really cant afford to replace it (the game goes for an obscene amount of money online. don't know why). i tried cleaning the laser with a cotton swab and putting the disc up to the light to see if there was any data loss. when i turn the dreamcast off the disc stops spinning so that must mean it's at least trying to read something. i really would like to continue this game, anything would help, thank you so much:)

Oh man! You reach so far in the game, and then that happens? Well that sucks. :?
Were you able to solve the problem, and did you find out what went wrong?

ERVOSCV
Anarki

Re: Dreamcast black screen in game

Post#3 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:55 am

phantom wrote: i'm not sure if its an issue with my dreamcast or the disc itself.

There's more knowledgeable people here than me, but my two cents: if you suspect it's the disc, why not try a burned copy? Just to reassure yourself it is not the system.

I've only had 1 issue with a disc since DC launch day, so while I hope it is not a Dreamcast hardware related issue, anything is possible. I have a bucket of games, and when I was testing some of my dreamcasts before replacing a bunch of lil parts on them, I discovered this 1 particular Maken X disc would restart at the same point on all my systems (it was like, a min and 30 seconds into the intro or something). Tried another copy and no issue.. I still have no idea what happened, (both copies were original discs & NTSC) and it was fairly recently. Couldn't have been the random restart thing because it was doing the same thing on multiple systems at the exact same time.

Good luck!