Support With Setting Up DreamPi Wifi

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

codad1
shadow

Support With Setting Up DreamPi Wifi

Post#1 » Wed May 01, 2019 6:06 pm

Hello!
I've been having a few issues with setting up my DreamPi via wifi.
I'm just going to get this out of the way to try and be as descriptive as possible:
It worked when I plugged it in to an ethernet cable (I got both green lights), but when I'm using my WiPi adapter, even after using the sudo wificonfig utility I can't seem to get the dreampi to use the adapter properly.

Windows9X
photon blast

Re: Support With Setting Up DreamPi Wifi

Post#2 » Wed May 01, 2019 6:39 pm

The WIFI utility is honestly bootleg; I don't recommend using it. Reflash your DreamPi with the latest 1.7 image and then MANUALLY type the wireless information.

There is a channel on youtube, by pcwzrd13, that explains how to image a DreamPi and how to MANUALLY enter in your wireless information. (first edition video).. just search DreamPi setup on youtube.

I had this issue on my DreamPi, too; that utility has screwed over your install. I don't recommend that anyone uses the utility.
Author of original DreamPi Companion..

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#3 » Wed May 01, 2019 6:49 pm

Windows9X wrote:I had this issue on my DreamPi, too; hat utility has screwed over your install. I don't recommend that anyone uses the utility.

I honestly have no idea why you had issues with it. I developed the utility myself. It's about as simple as it gets. It simply edits the same files you edit when you configure the Wi-Fi manually. It's an automatic text editor basically. :lol: The only known issue is that it doesn't support Wi-Fi networks with spaces in them. If that's the case then you need to either change your SSID or configure manually. But yeah, other than that there really isn't anything that can go wrong with such a simple program. You're the only one I know of that hasn't been able to get it to work.

Anyway, here's the manual configuration video if you need it:

Edit: Just remembered one other thing. It won't work if you have SSID broadcasting turned off on your router. It's very rare that anyone does this but I do recall one person that had this issue. The utility was made with fairly typical modern networks in mind so if you have any weird settings like that or use old security protocols like WEP (don't do this! :lol:), you need to configure manually.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

BLueSS
dark night

Post#4 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:19 am

pcwzrd13 wrote:I honestly have no idea why you had issues with it. I developed the utility myself. It's about as simple as it gets.

I had issues with the "wificonfig" utility in DreamPi today when re-setting up my SDCard for DPi1.7.

The script doesn't ask for country code (I have a RPI3b+) needed for wifi to work.
It would also be nice if the script displayed whether wifi was already connected, and display your IP as that information is not visible from the console easily. I know you can "ifconfig" but for new people trying to setup, it would just make it much simpler if the script told whether wifi was working or not before they proceed to enable/disable it again. :D

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#5 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:54 pm

BLueSS wrote:I had issues with the "wificonfig" utility in DreamPi today when re-setting up my SDCard for DPi1.7.

The script doesn't ask for country code (I have a RPI3b+) needed for wifi to work.

I'm working on v1.2. Will include support for spaces in SSIDs and country codes for 5GHz networks. If I can figure out how to display the IP, I will include that.
PSO Characters:

schmidtee
rebel

Post#6 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:45 am

pcwzrd13 wrote:
BLueSS wrote:I had issues with the "wificonfig" utility in DreamPi today when re-setting up my SDCard for DPi1.7.

I'm working on v1.2. Will include support for spaces in SSIDs and country codes for 5GHz networks. If I can figure out how to display the IP, I will include that.

OMG my SSID has a space in it, could this be why I was having issues last night do you think?

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#7 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:50 am

schmidtee wrote:OMG my SSID has a space in it, could this be why I was having issues last night do you think?

Nah, the new version of wificonfig was released a while ago so it supports spaces now.
PSO Characters:

schmidtee
rebel

Post#8 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:05 am

pcwzrd13 wrote:
schmidtee wrote:OMG my SSID has a space in it, could this be why I was having issues last night do you think?

Nah, the new version of wificonfig was released a while ago so it supports spaces now.

Will give it a go anyway, no harm in trying everything :)