Why do we set Dreampi / DMZ settings to end in .98?

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Mertens
shadow

Why do we set Dreampi / DMZ settings to end in .98?

Post#1 » Sat May 25, 2019 5:52 pm

Please forgive me if this has been covered somewhere else. I'm reading documentation and watching the Youtube video for DMZ setup. Last night I Realized I had one, possibly two mistakes in my DMZ setting which is why another starlancer player and i could not connect.

I currently have my pi set up for wifi and I can connect to the internet and start games, but cannot join other players.

I was wondering about the DMZ setting ending in .98 Is that sort of set in stone? The documentation says the dreamcast/dreampi should end in .98 Also curious, do the dreampi and dreamcast register on the network as separate entities or the same? Nothing else on my network is using .98 or .99 that i am aware of. I only have a few devices and i can recognize all of them.

Anyway, here's what i'm doing/seeing. I log into my router's configuration screen and i look at the network map. I can see the dreampi. I have seen it with 3 different IP addresses. Sometimes ending in .98, sometimes ending .99. But most of the time, ending in a number over 100.

When i go to the pi and run $ /sbin/ifconfig here is a summary of what it reports:
ppp0: inet... .99 ... destination .98
wlan0: inet... over 100 number ... broadcast over 200 number

Is there some command i should run to determine what IP to add to my DMZ? I could get in the habit of checking every time i boot the pi and seeing if it changes.

One thing that is making it uncertain for me is when i boot up the pi, the IP address is not shown like in the setup videos. I'm guessing the latest versions of the software changed the boot up displays.

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Re: Why do we set Dreampi / DMZ settings to end in .98?

Post#2 » Sat May 25, 2019 6:15 pm

for the vast majority of users the dreamcast ip ends in .98

not always but way way more often than not...

you set dmz or open ports for the dreamcast.. not the pi...

Mertens
shadow

Post#3 » Sat May 25, 2019 6:23 pm

Yeah, i think i'm confusing myself with the Dreamcast Now IP address setup.
I just changed my DMZ back to .98 and i'll try it again.

I also booted up Quake III and it displayed .98 briefly. So i'll give that a shot for now.

Thanks.

BKDCRCKR
lithium

Post#4 » Sat May 25, 2019 6:30 pm

Hey there. I'm not an expert in this stuff but I'll at least give some sort of shot. But if your DreamPi is changing IPs, have you tried setting a static IP? Maybe that could help some way. I dunno though.

I had a problem with mine changing and I set a static IP. You can use the guide on the Dreamcast Live site. I helped submit that guide so it definitely works.