finding separate modems and routers in 2019

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

tripletopper
blackout!

finding separate modems and routers in 2019

Post#1 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:25 pm

According to pcwzrd13, he said you need a separate modem and router. Best Buy and Wal Mart only sell combined Gateways.. I even tried ebay, looking for a used one, and all of both the modems and routers I see aregateways. I even search " DSL modem -router" and "DSL router -modem" separately. I still get no hits.

I tried my current ISP, Frontier, and THEY say they don't sell separate routers and modems.

By the way, Forntier's preferred gateway is a special netgear made just for them, and enough places on Dreacast forums say DreamPi HATES Netgear. But what if frontier is required to run off Netgear, and nothing else would work?

What have you done for me lately Frontier? Ever since I upgraded to 1.5 Mb/s in 400 kb/s out in 2013 I've been stuck there but web traffic minimums keep moving faster.

Someone at Sprint is trying to sell me on a $60 unlimited 4G LTE Wi-ffi device that can work with Xbox, and Nintendo. I understand for my wired DreamPi to work, I need an Ethernet connection. But that's a a different issue.

tripletopper
blackout!

Re: finding separate modems and routers in 2019

Post#2 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:24 pm

So where do I find separate modems and routers in 2019? I tried Wal Mart, Best Buy, so say they’re legacy products.

So I even tried Ebay, and most of these listing have both the word "router" and "modem", and some even include "gateway". And I don’t know whether the ones with JUST the word "router" or "modem" are separate and not really gateways, or if the seller doesn’t know better ad it’s really a gateway.. Most people don’t advertise "not a gateway" on Ebay.

Xiden
Developer

Post#3 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:51 pm

tripletopper wrote:According to pcwzrd13, he said you need a separate modem and router. Best Buy and Wal Mart only sell combined Gateways.. I even tried ebay, looking for a used one, and all of both the modems and routers I see aregateways. I even search " DSL modem -router" and "DSL router -modem" separately. I still get no hits.

I tried my current ISP, Frontier, and THEY say they don't sell separate routers and modems.

By the way, Forntier's preferred gateway is a special netgear made just for them, and enough places on Dreacast forums say DreamPi HATES Netgear. But what if frontier is required to run off Netgear, and nothing else would work?

What have you done for me lately Frontier? Ever since I upgraded to 1.5 Mb/s in 400 kb/s out in 2013 I've been stuck there but web traffic minimums keep moving faster.

Someone at Sprint is trying to sell me on a $60 unlimited 4G LTE Wi-ffi device that can work with Xbox, and Nintendo. I understand for my wired DreamPi to work, I need an Ethernet connection. But that's a a different issue.

I think having a dsl companys modem router combo is what you want to avoid. Using something like a netgear dsl router combo would allow you dmz or portforward like a separate cable modem router would. You can always look up the manuals for the units online.

Xiden
Developer

Post#4 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:53 pm

Btw I recommend getting a Asus DSL Router, my asus router works beautifully with my dreamcast and all my port forwarding needs

tripletopper
blackout!

Post#5 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:19 pm

Xiden wrote:
I think having a dsl companys modem router combo is what you want to avoid. Using something like a netgear dsl router combo would allow you dmz or portforward like a separate cable modem router would. You can always look up the manuals for the units online.

Yes I know I want to avoid a combo gateway, but when I look on ebay, it’s hard to tell which ones are combined gateways, modems only, and routers only.

Currently Best Buy and Wal Mart don’t sell separate DSL Modems and routers.

Also I need a modem that works with frontier. I can’t be sure by looking at random ebay lots

Also, which device should not be Netgear, the modem or the router?

Finally, we might upgrade our internet to cellular, so this might be moot anyway.

Xiden
Developer

Post#6 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:51 pm

tripletopper wrote:
Xiden wrote:

Yes I know I want to avoid a combo gateway, but when I look on ebay, it’s hard to tell which ones are combined gateways, modems only, and routers only.

Currently Best Buy and Wal Mart don’t sell separate DSL Modems and routers.

Also I need a modem that works with frontier. I can’t be sure by looking at random ebay lots

Also, which device should not be Netgear, the modem or the router?

Finally, we might upgrade our internet to cellular, so this might be moot anyway.

Well I'm saying its probably fine to buy a dsl router from best buy, you just need to contact your isp and ask if its compatible. DSL Technology a little old so its all combind within the routers. I dont think you need a separate modem and router, just get a brand like asus or netgear.

tripletopper
blackout!

Post#7 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:35 pm

I have a Netgear 7550. Some Say Netgear sucks with Dreampi. If you know the right setting for a combined Netgear Gateway, let me know what to do. I know how to enter the iP address. I just need the settings to do it right. I’m having a hard time getting it to work.

tripletopper
blackout!

Post#8 » Fri May 03, 2019 2:24 am

Xiden wrote:

I am trying a Sprint 10 GB of 4G LTE + unlimited (subject to network conjestion) 3G Turbo for my XBox and Nintendo to get speeds faster than my DSL (DSL gets 1.6 M in, 400 k out. Sprint promises 10-40 Mb in, 2-10 Mb/s out under 50 ms ping base at my home location.)

As far as the dreamcast is concerned. I have an ethernet wired Dreampi. would THIS work in connecting a wired Dreampi with either my Sprint WiFI network OR my frontier WiFI network?

If sprint’s network is great, and a Vonets device is what I need to bridge between wired and wireless, then I should be fine.

If not the issue of working with DSL will be an issue. You simultaneously recommend a Netgear gateway, and NOT my DSL’s provided router, which is also a Netgear Gateway. Which is it?

Some people say separate modems and routers only apply to Cable and not DSL.

May I have some clear advice. My network is in zero security mode, (having no Windows PCs has its advantages ;) ) IS there any advice about wait to do. You can wait until Monday, when I’ll get my Sprint WiFI.

Finally, would the above Vonets device plugged into the Wired DreamPI help with connection issues if my wifi is password protected, but if all ports open? Because my DSL is WiFI enabled, and so is my Sprint Hotspot, and having a wifi leg makes it easier than a pure wired route... right?

Xiden
Developer

Post#9 » Fri May 03, 2019 12:04 pm

tripletopper wrote:
Xiden wrote:

I am trying a Sprint 10 GB of 4G LTE + unlimited (subject to network conjestion) 3G Turbo for my XBox and Nintendo to get speeds faster than my DSL (DSL gets 1.6 M in, 400 k out. Sprint promises 10-40 Mb in, 2-10 Mb/s out under 50 ms ping base at my home location.)

As far as the dreamcast is concerned. I have an ethernet wired Dreampi. would THIS work in connecting a wired Dreampi with either my Sprint WiFI network OR my frontier WiFI network?

If sprint’s network is great, and a Vonets device is what I need to bridge between wired and wireless, then I should be fine.

If not the issue of working with DSL will be an issue. You simultaneously recommend a Netgear gateway, and NOT my DSL’s provided router, which is also a Netgear Gateway. Which is it?

Some people say separate modems and routers only apply to Cable and not DSL.

May I have some clear advice. My network is in zero security mode, (having no Windows PCs has its advantages ;) ) IS there any advice about wait to do. You can wait until Monday, when I’ll get my Sprint WiFI.

Finally, would the above Vonets device plugged into the Wired DreamPI help with connection issues if my wifi is password protected, but if all ports open? Because my DSL is WiFI enabled, and so is my Sprint Hotspot, and having a wifi leg makes it easier than a pure wired route... right?

Introducing wireless into an already archaic system may cause severe lag issues. I'm not too familiar with the vonets device you've selected, though it looks it should work for what you are wanting to accomplish. Cell tower internet may not provide the most stability, at least not in my experience, but if its substantially faster than your DSL it may be your best option.

tripletopper
blackout!

Post#10 » Fri May 03, 2019 4:28 pm

Xiden wrote:Introducing wireless into an already archaic system may cause severe lag issues. I'm not too familiar with the vonets device you've selected, though it looks it should work for what you are wanting to accomplish. Cell tower internet may not provide the most stability, at least not in my experience, but if its substantially faster than your DSL it may be your best option.

Unfortunate, my weakest link is raw internet speeds. Speed should not be an issue wiht the Dremapi, all you need is 33k in and 33 k out. I’m using this device for 2 reasons. One the only way I can get a decent netwrok for something beyond Dreamcast is a cellular connection. And they claim ping times are under 50 ms. Xbox and Nintendo require 150 ms ping or less.

And the other is I’m having compatibility issues with my Frontier Netgear Gateway. No one is willing to help me with that. Would adding the Wi Fi step between the DSL and the Dreamcast help it avoid port and DMZ issues, or at least make it clearer in DMzing the Dreamcast?

Frontier does not want to help me in changing the gateway to be Drwamcast friendly. I’m just giving a whole bunch of opitons. I got a Netgear Gateway that came with the DSL. I got a separate Netgear router (not a gateway, no phone jack for DSL source in this device), a similar Wireless G Only Linksys router (not a gateway), a Vonets device, a DSL connection from Frontier and a Sprint Cellular internet which is supposedly better than my current DSL. A little skeptical, but they got a 30 day trial period.

Between all these possible equipment pieces that can go anywhere, except for the Netgear Gateway, which must be first beuuase it has DSL input, which combination is the most likely for successful Dreamcast DreamPi gaming? if you want, I can get the model numbers.