My DreamPi setup

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

My DreamPi setup

Post#1 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:57 pm

Initially I wanted to go with an internal build, but I was convinced not to by pcwzrd13 and the more I looked at it the more I would have to pack in there reducing air flow to my overclocked system, and that just wasn't a very good idea without adding a Noctua PC fan mod. I went with a "vintage" Camel Snus can from around 10 years ago. Over all I think it is a pretty clean setup all things considered. The Pi is a regular Zero model, not a Zero W so that is why the need for the hub to power my wifi dongle as well as the USB Fax Modem. Speaking of which this is the version modded with the built in LVI. Thanks to DR TEAMCAST and pcwzrd13 helping me out with the modded USB modem.

dodo1867
lithium

Re: My DreamPi setup

Post#2 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:35 pm

Got any more details on the built in LVI mod?

poopidoop
MegaDeath

Post#3 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:45 pm

@dodo1867 pcwzrd13 sell them on this website https://www.dreamcastlive.net/shop

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#4 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:57 pm

Yeah the one I have is the modded fax modem he sells on his shop. I can't tell you how happy I am with it, it really is much better than having to deal with flimsy wires and an external battery.

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#5 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:20 pm

so if i get a pi Zero W all i need is a micro usb otg and a powered hub? can you plug the pi into the usb hub?

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#6 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:29 pm

Well, mine isn't a powered hub, I mean, it uses no external power. It comes from the pi itself. But I have the otg adapter and broke off the plastic external shell on it, and just wrapped with electrical tape so they could fit as closely together as possible. It also helps that I had a super thin micro USB cable providing power. So just make sure you use a thin cable like mine.

The pi itself gets power from a wall wart USB adapter I plugged it into. So my setup is a bit different to what you are asking. I mean it should work but mine isn't like that.

Theoretically I don't see why it wouldn't work, but not making any promises. Also the Pu Zero W used to have issues connecting with the wifi chip and DreamPi, but it was ironed out in latest revision.

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#7 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:36 pm

ok cool so the pi puts out enough power from the micro usb OTG for the modem. very cool thanks for the info. I have a gdemu and a pico psu i hope to cram the pi and the usb modem inside the DC, or at least make a phat modem.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#8 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:34 pm

Now THAT I would like to see pictures of! If you do this please post photos. I thought about internalizing mine, but my DC is modded with GDEMU, dual bios, 240mhz OC mod, rechargeable coin cell battery holder, and controller port resetable fuse. I still want to add a Pico and Noctua fan mod to it. HDMI mod seems a bit daunting for my skill level. I didn't add the other mods to mine, just GDEMU.

I was worried about air flow and pcwzrd13 talked me down from internalizing it. With Pico PSU it would easily fit. Did you build yours or buy it prebuilt or use the custom one called DreamPSU?

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#9 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:05 pm

I have a GDEMU, PICO-PSU and Noctuna/W Mount. It seems easy to add power for the Pi Zero W with the PicoPSU. I also replaced the thermal pads on my DC. With the new psu i think the noctua is pointless, I think removing the stock PSU & GD is enough and no fan is needed, if I wanted outdoors summertime gameplay or in the work truck (I DO) this mod looks like a better solution after the mods ive already done https://imgur.com/a/lXloA I asked a friend to do the polyswitch/battery mod for me and I got a DC without an LED and #4 not working!

About the DCHDMI, wayyy too pricey, a nice POUNDHDMI OR VGA to PORTTA to HDMI or VGA on a 4:3 or a 5:4 LCD is a better option. NOT WORTH THE MONEY

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#10 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:20 pm

So fancy

Kids hope to see you on PSO! FUCK RPG but it's PSO