SEGA Rally 2 or V-Rally 2: Expert Edition?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42

Poll: Which do you prefer. SEGA Rally 2 or V-Rally 2: Expert Edition?

SEGA Rally 2
33%
V-Rally 2: Expert Edition
29%
They're both awesome
33%
They're both terrible
5%
Total votes: 21

louis012345678
Doom

SEGA Rally 2 or V-Rally 2: Expert Edition?

Post#1 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:22 am

Just a quick poll to see which one is everyones favourite. I love both but have only recently gotten into V-Rally 2. It's an awesome game you should definitely check out if you've never played it before.

Woodneeded
undertow

Re: SEGA Rally 2 or V-Rally 2: Expert Edition?

Post#2 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:00 pm

Two very different games despite being based around rallying. If you want to have a good head to head race with someone and go really fast with less to worry about go with SR2. If you want a game where you have to be precise and worry about driving technique V-rally is the game for that on DC

Sega RPG

Post#3 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:55 pm

really more votes for v-rally?ok...

louis012345678
Doom

Post#4 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:24 pm

Tbf v rally has a lot more going for it: 60FPS, 84stages and a track editor. It's just lacking that 90's SEGA arcade feel that made SR2 (and other Dreamcast games from SEGA) so awesome.

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#5 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:14 pm

I don't understand the numbering scheme for the V-Rallies!!!

So there's two for PS1, but V-Rally Dreamcast either with number or not is totally the sequel?

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#6 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:19 pm

On PSX it was known as Need for Speed V Rally. Infograms published the sequel on the DC. the first game was never on Sega systems, and part 2 is distinct from the first game which wasn't on any Sega systems. Sequels in fact come to systems all the time that didn't get the first games.

Sega RPG

Post#7 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:16 am

honestly the first game was much better, anyway v-rally in europe and on the psx was v-rally 2 championship edition, on the n64 it was v-rally 2 99 edition and on pc and dreamcast was v-rally 2 expert edition. Of course as everyone might have guessed, worst version is the n64 one.

I do personally think that v-rally 2 is good for a casual race every now and then and probably is just worth getting it for playing around the track editor, but at the time it was literally blown away by it's main competitor which was colin mcrae rally 2, which was (to me) a real masterpiece in the world of rally games.

As for the sega rally 2, i think the game is on a league on it's own, surely it's not the arcade powerhouse but it's one of the funniest game one can play, and that's what matter, Actually the only complaint i have is the low resolution decals on the cars.

Different story with first episodes where v-rally 1 was more arcade than colin mcrae rally 1 but it was very good fun. No need to speak about the first sega rally as it's the legend itself xD

louis012345678
Doom

Post#8 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:30 am

Yeah the og vrally on ps1 was the best. I'm liable to bias with that game though because it's the first game I can remember playing when I was like 3.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#9 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:42 pm

I had the first one on PSX, can't tell you how many hours I put into it. I recently played it again on my PS3 and the controls took some getting used to since it has no analog support, and my 3rd party 360 style controller I used on my jailbroke PS3 doesn't exactly have the best D-pad. But still a great game series imho.

beanboy
Wazza

Post#10 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:13 pm

Both games are really good, so this is a really tough choice. :D