Mod Quake 2 with PSX/N64 ports levels to save memory?

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Mod Quake 2 with PSX/N64 ports levels to save memory?

Post#1 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:22 pm

We all know about Bero's Quake 2 port from back in the day. It unfortunately lacks sound, and had to have it completely disabled because otherwise the game would crash before even loading up due to memory limitations, 16mb ram is just so little to work with. An idea occurred to me the other night. The PSX version had some smaller levels than the PC port with reduced texture resolution, and some were cut up from what I understand, similar to how the Half-Life port on Dreamcast had the levels split up compared to how they were on the original PC port.

What if we were to take the assets from the PSX port, and use them in place of the larger PC assets used in the homebrew port? Is there even any way to enable sound again without the source code? I will admit, I am not the most technically inclined, but I do mod PC games, and have created 3 total conversion mods for Battlefield 2 on PC.

There were a few different projects for PC where somebody was porting over the PSX and N64 assets, SURELY those could be of some use to try and get the memory down so the game can finally be playable on the Dreamcast at least in some more complete form? The PSX port had some really cool music on the soundtrack.

PSX to PC conversion: http://emeraldproductions.weebly.com/ho ... on-project

N64 to PC conversion: https://github.com/m-x-d/Mission64-data

If anybody wants to take a look into the feasibility of this, you can grab the port of Quake 2 here. It is a finished .cdi image.

https://mega.nz/#!iENG0Y7a!gozf4GEx4EGd ... kmKsF81SUQ

The source code can be found here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/dcquak ... p/download

Ian Micheal
Developer

Re: Mod Quake 2 with PSX/N64 ports levels to save memory?

Post#2 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:08 pm

I will take a look at it , I can compile Bero's quake2 with sound.. i have all src and the tool chain needed.. ive got a lot of setup to do before i can try i will let you know..

Bero's src has a lot of custom thing's needed his version of modded KOS i have it but it's mostly why no one's touched this.. This also has ported lib's for file loading that standard kos does not have

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#3 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:27 pm

Awesome thanks so much for taking a look into this for me! I was hoping somebody here would eventually bite. I think it is the best idea to get the game running better.

Also, with this port was it ever possible to load mods from it like with Quake 1? I know it wasn't a 100% complete port, and he likely never got that far but wonder if he considered making it possible to run mods?

Also side note, do you know if Bero released the source to Aleph One his Marathon ports? If anything, adding controller and save support to that release is needed sorely. It was so close to being perfect. It runs full speed, but is pretty unplayable with just a DC keyboard. Is it possible to add those features to his port? I know on PC in the later releases of Aleph some modders added joystick support for the game. Also would be cool to see the XBLA Marathon 2 Durandal assets ported to the DC. I believe they use it on the latest releases of Aleph.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#4 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:01 pm

Ok i do have the src to Aleph One Marathon src and what need's to be done to kos
to compile it
compile:

you must change

#define MAX_ISO_FILES 8

in

$(KOS_BASE)/kernel/arch/dreamcast/include/dc/fs_iso9660.c

to larger value such as 16, and recompile kos.

https://mega.nz/#!S6QwiQLA!h43uoAWJNR31 ... Zxb_fPIbbY

This is the dreamcast src to it he gave me back in the day.. Allmost impossble to find..

You all so have to use kos.1.17 and his version of SDL as well

Any way for what it's worth here it is

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#5 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:08 pm

Wow so the Source does exist! Wow this is amazing! Thanks for posting it! Unfortunately I am not a coder at all.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#6 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:11 pm

SDL-1.2.4-dc-beta2.zip
(281.7 KiB) Downloaded 439 times
you will need this to even try compile it

Well some one in the future might need it. I Forgot to say it also need's bero's Open GL SDL subset and an older GCC compiler 2.2 or so

I have all that's needed .. i have to go by my memory from over 14 year's ago.. got to tell you it's like learning all over again

this port used

DEFS += -DHAVE_OPENGL
TARGET = libSDL_gl.a

a sdl openGL subset to work.. Adding control's and all that would of been the easy part

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#7 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:33 pm

Thanks, adding it to my HDD now in a folder I made for the source.

DARKHALO2K
dark night

Post#8 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:41 pm

If a build could be compiled with the sound enabled, I would be more than happy to try and fit the game in to memory by reducing the texture detail and compressing the music and sound effects.

This would be awesome for the community and I would love to work on this.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#9 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:21 pm

DARKHALO2K wrote:If a build could be compiled with the sound enabled, I would be more than happy to try and fit the game in to memory by reducing the texture detail and compressing the music and sound effects.

This would be awesome for the community and I would love to work on this.

Here is the src code to BERO"S quake2 dc
There are define's to enable it.. I dont have ko1.1.7 and all his stuff set up but it can be done for sure..
Attachments
dcquake2 Bero SRC.zip
(143.39 KiB) Downloaded 376 times

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#10 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:25 pm

I seriously hope you guys can come up with something, I have been wanting a finished port of this with sound for ages. If you can pull this off it would be legendary!