The Dreamshell USB TIP Size ?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
AgentMomo
Prince of Persia

The Dreamshell USB TIP Size ?

Post#1 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:20 pm

Hi there , like I seen the SD/USB thing for dreamcast , now I got 2 USB Tips and they don't fit inside the back port ?

Is their different size USB tips that I do not know about ? Their's difference of 1.0 and 2.0.

What tip is on the Dreamshell / Dreamcast Back Serial Port ?

mrneo240
Rank 9

Re: The Dreamshell USB TIP Size ?

Post#2 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:23 am

Pardon?

BlueCrab
Developer

Post#3 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:00 am

The Dreamcast's serial port is not USB. If you're looking for a SD card adapter for the Dreamcast, you need to buy one specifically designed for it -- not a USB one.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#4 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:13 pm

This dudes topics never cease to make me facepalm. Almost like he isn't the slightest technically inclined lol.

AgentMomo
Prince of Persia

Post#5 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:26 pm

BlueCrab wrote:The Dreamcast's serial port is not USB. If you're looking for a SD card adapter for the Dreamcast, you need to buy one specifically designed for it -- not a USB one.

Oh Jeez that would make sense :lol: thanks

AgentMomo
Prince of Persia

Post#6 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:27 pm

Anthony817 wrote:This dudes topics never cease to make me facepalm. Almost like he isn't the slightest technically inclined lol.

Whatever you say there , A/V Club President :mrgreen:

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#7 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:44 pm

Between this topic, and the others asking for ports of Sega Saturn and all other kinds of Resident Evil games ported to the Dreamcast, I just get the impression you don't have the slightest idea what you are talking about the majority of the time when it comes to technical things is all. No offense intended, I just thing you don't know a lot of basic technical terms, or have any understanding about how source code is needed for porting games. We were all there at one point trust me, so we have all been there before. Like I said no offense.

As for this topic, that SD adapter that you see floating around on the internet is a specially hand made serial adapter which started life as a USB device. It was heavily modified and rewired to function from the serial port on the Dreamcast in concert with Dreamshell.

I even made a review of mine when I got one around 2011. It was up on Racketboy. Even wrote up a detailed Q and A. Check it out and if there is anything else you don't understand about it let me know here and I will do my best to explain.

http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopi ... 05&start=0

AgentMomo
Prince of Persia

Post#8 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:19 pm

Anthony817 wrote:Between this topic, and the others asking for ports of Sega Saturn and all other kinds of Resident Evil games ported to the Dreamcast, I just get the impression you don't have the slightest idea what you are talking about the majority of the time when it comes to technical things is all. No offense intended, I just thing you don't know a lot of basic technical terms, or have any understanding about how source code is needed for porting games. We were all there at one point trust me, so we have all been there before. Like I said no offense.

As for this topic, that SD adapter that you see floating around on the internet is a specially hand made serial adapter which started life as a USB device. It was heavily modified and rewired to function from the serial port on the Dreamcast in concert with Dreamshell.

I even made a review of mine when I got one around 2011. It was up on Racketboy. Even wrote up a detailed Q and A. Check it out and if there is anything else you don't understand about it let me know here and I will do my best to explain.

http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopi ... 05&start=0

ah yes great topic of info.

Hey , you know how it is , if you don't risk the dumb questions people will just hoard all the correct info .

Who knows , for the past 10 years their could of been some crazy bastard with the ports I asked about and been hiding them :lol:

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#9 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:56 pm

Hehe too right there!