Outtrigger really triggers me

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Outtrigger really triggers me

Post#1 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:08 pm

I kept hearing how good Outtrigger is, so I finally gave it a go..and man, never again..

It might look pretty and run smooth, but that doesn't mean jack if it controls like crap..which sadly it does, and very interesting that I never heard anybody complain about this so far.
Despite having a dozen control presets, none of them is actually worth a damn. What's the point of moving with the Dpad and looking around with the Analog stick? Who the hell thought that was even worth including as an option? You would think that between the dozen useless presets, there's at least one that's good, but nope. There isn't a single one that works like the Quake 3 Arena or Unreal Tournament presets, which are at least useable. Not a single preset that allows moving forward/backward AND turning with the Analog stick. Appaerntly not a single person on the team looked at how other FPS games on their system did their controls.

So it controls like crap on the controller, keyboard and mouse to the rescue..WRONG. Again, only a dozen useless presets, because god forbid you could map the controls the way you want to...like normal games do. What if I don't want the 2 to be backward on the numpad section, what if I want to use 5, like I can do in every other game on Earth? Well, screw me I guess, cuz AM2 knows it better. Also, having the jump button on the mouse is so much better as well! And of course, why utilise the mouse wheel to go back and forth between the weapons, when you can just map it to any other button so you can cycle through them in ONLY ONE direction.

Man, AM2 really screwed the pooch with this one.

krssn
Metallic

Re: Outtrigger really triggers me

Post#2 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:52 pm

Outtrigger controls just fine with aiming on the stick and walking on the buttons.

Same for Soldier of Fortune.

Only reason you're complaining is because you're not used to this setup and you didn't bother getting used to it. Stop whining, rewire your brain, and enjoy the game. It is a good game afteral...

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#3 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:32 pm

krssn wrote:Outtrigger controls just fine with aiming on the stick and walking on the buttons.

Same for Soldier of Fortune.

Only reason you're complaining is because you're not used to this setup and you didn't bother getting used to it. Stop whining, rewire your brain, and enjoy the game. It is a good game afteral...

The problem with the "rewire your brain" argument is that it could be applied to anything. "Don't like that indie Dreamcast games are $40+? Stop whining and rewire your brain to accept it." And regarding the "it is a good game afterall", that's for me (and every person) separately to decide for myself. And as it stands, for me, sadly it's not a good game. Even if we ignore the serious control issues, it's bland, it's shallow, it's generic.

Apparently expecting more control options and the ability to map my own keys was too much to ask for from a veteran video game platform holder..even tho other, smaller developers had no problem including these features in their own games (like in Unreal Tournament and Quake 3 Arena). And apparently pointing out this fact is "whining".

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#4 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:22 pm

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0oo0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0

krssn
Metallic

Post#5 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:55 am

That 'rewiring' I'm talking about should only take half an hour more or less. You should get used to it pretty fast. At least I did...

As for the control options. No matter how many options they put in there, your controller won't grow a second stick. And the stick is still the best part of the controller to use for aiming. So yeah, either get used to it, or skip the game altogether. Doesn't look like it's your cup of tea anyway...

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#6 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:26 am

krssn wrote:That 'rewiring' I'm talking about should only take half an hour more or less. You should get used to it pretty fast. At least I did...

As for the control options. No matter how many options they put in there, your controller won't grow a second stick. And the stick is still the best part of the controller to use for aiming. So yeah, either get used to it, or skip the game altogether. Doesn't look like it's your cup of tea anyway...

I wouldn't have to go through any 'rewiring' if they included the control layout I'm already used to, like other devs did. I'm not asking for a second stick, what I'm asking for is the control layout other devs had no problem implementing, which is:
- Analog stick Up/Down: move Forward/Backward
- Analog stick Left/Right: turn Left/Right
- X/B: strafe Left/Right
-Y/A: look Up/Down
- Dpad Left/Right: switch to Previous/Next weapon
- L trigger: Jump
- R trigger: Shoot

Also it's sad that it's not my cup of tea, because I like arena shooters. I like Unreal Tournament, I like Quake 3 Arena, I like Propeller Arena (which is basically an arena shooter with planes), so I thought Outtrigger would be right up my alley.

DarkSynbios
DC-Talk Addict

Post#7 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:27 am

If you choose C1 or D1 setup control its just fine like Quake 3 arena. The only matter now is the game need to back online and after that kick your ass! lol

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#8 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:44 am

DarkSynbios wrote:If you choose C1 or D1 setup control its just fine like Quake 3 arena. The only matter now is the game need to back online and after that kick your ass! lol

Maybe Quake 3 Arena has configurations exactly like C1 and D1, but Outtrigger has no configuration where you can move with the Analog stick.

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#9 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:53 am

I played outtrigger with my 14 yes old niece last weekend. At her request to boot. First thing she said was the controls were then proceeded to wreck me. She loves the game and quickly adjusted to it, she has no gaming background. Maybe you just don't like the game as much as you want to force yourself to.

Chael
fire

Post#10 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:36 am

Welp it's an arcade game that was meant to be played with twin stick + trackball.

Return to “Lounge”