Constant disconnect issues with real dial up in PSO V2 Sylverant + Question about Dreampi

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Caprese
shadow

Constant disconnect issues with real dial up in PSO V2 Sylverant + Question about Dreampi

Post#1 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:07 pm

Hello, this is my first post here on Dreamcast Talk.
For the past 2 weeks I've been enjoying PSO V2 online on the Sylverant private server, and I've had no problems with the connection. However, recently I've been receiving constant disconnect issues. I started getting them after an hour or more online, but it's gotten shorter and shorter to the point I can't stay online for more than 5 to 10 minutes before I get an error saying the line was disconnected. Since I'm using actual dial up I know there isn't much I can do to configure my connection, but I read on other posts that finding a higher quality phone line or restarting my router could fix the problem for a while. I was wondering if there was anything else I could try to improve my connection.

Also, is the connection crystal-clear on Dreampi or are there similar issues? Even though I already have a phone service, if Dreampi could offer better connection then I may look into getting one since it's cheaper than buying a BBA.

BlueCrab
Developer

Re: Constant disconnect issues with real dial up in PSO V2 Sylverant + Question about Dreampi

Post#2 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:21 pm

Most people seem to have good experiences with the DreamPi setup, once they have everything up and running. I can't really comment on that matter at all, though.

Since you're using real phone service, you do have a few things you can try to see if it clears up the problem. First thing I'd try is buying a different phone cable, as you've already said. It doesn't have to be particularly expensive, but definitely avoid anything from dollar stores. Get the shortest cable you can actually use to get from the phone jack to your Dreamcast -- if the distance is 5 feet, don't buy a 50 foot cable as the longer the cable is, the more chance it will degrade the connection.

Since you're saying its a fairly recent problem though, have you noticed anything odd about the phone itself while using it for normal voice calls? Like, is there any crackling or anything else like that? If so, you might need to do some sort of reset procedure on the line. Back when I had copper-line phone service at home, there was a box outside where I could do something to reset the line and it would usually help when there was noise/static on the line to do so. While I can't guarantee that there's any sort of thing you can do, you might try calling up your phone provider and asking them about it...

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Re: Constant disconnect issues with real dial up in PSO V2 Sylverant + Question about Dreampi

Post#3 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:14 pm

DreamPi is one time fee justa get the gear, never lags never disconnects very strong actually. All restored titles old and recent supported and plug and play

Also your Dreamcast's IP will need port forward! er better DMZ!

Big welcome

Mechanic
Vagabond

Post#4 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:10 pm

Hi Caprese,
Hmm you said u restarted the router? Are you using the phone jack that comes out of your cable router/modem? If so that's the problem. I tried that before pi and it lags bad. What you got is a voice over ip connection not a real dialup connection. I once got 500 ping lag tring to connect to quake with that
Italian Stallion

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Post#5 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:05 pm

How old is the house or apartment you are in? I remember back in the day one of friends had a similar problem. The lines in the house were just old and it affected their ability to stay online. Finally they had to have a lot of phone lines redone to solve the problem. I know its the go to answer always, but just go with a DreamPI if you are having issues i'd say.

Caprese
shadow

Post#6 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:49 am

I'd like to give a thanks to everyone who commented here for your recommendations. I was able to improve the connection a bit using a better and shorter phone cord, but it still wasn't just right, so I finally ordered a Dreampi. I'm looking forward to being able to play again when it arrives in a few days!