Please help me get online with Alien Front Online

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

stereopathic
shadow

Re: Please help me get online with Alien Front Online

Post#11 » Thu May 24, 2018 8:46 am

@SEGA RPG FAN Okay, I have a NVG589 router that I've configured into bridge mode so I can use an Orbi as my router. So, I guess that's the device getting the public IP since it's acting as my modem. There's not a specific setting for DMZ but there is one for Passthrough. Is that the same thing?

On that page one of the options is "Default Server." The description is "Allows the device to forward all externally initiated IP traffic (TCP and UDP protocols only) to a default host on the LAN. You might need this if you cannot anticipate what port number or packet protocol an in-bound application might use. For example, some network games select arbitrary port numbers when a connection is opened. Or you might want all unsolicited traffic to go to a specific LAN host."

Here's a screenshot of the IP Passthrough page: https://i.imgur.com/jYaQTJ0.jpg

That sounds like what I need. Is it? edit: Googling tells me I should be using passthrough for my router but it won't let me type anything into the Default Server Internal Address field. Guh.

Also, there seems to be a place to port forward. Here's a screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/Pv5Ph8W.jpg
If I'm going to do that instead, what do I put in the Base Host Port field?

superman200x
undertow

Post#12 » Thu May 24, 2018 1:03 pm

Hey maybe this not going to help but are you sure your modem dose have Wi-Fi. I had trouble with my router and found out that my modem had wifi and I had to convert my dream pi to my modem. Just a thought tho

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#13 » Thu May 24, 2018 2:08 pm

Ok, you're probably making things more complicated than you need to, but if you're doing true bridge mode then the Orbi should be getting the public IP. Verify this. If the orbi is indeed showing a public IP and doing the routing then that's the device to do port forwarding or DMZ on.

Is there a compelling reason why you're messing with bridging to the Orbi? I would use the NVG589 as the router and DHCP server, disable the DHCP server on the Orbi and just let the Orbi act as a Wi-Fi access point.

Given the issues you're having, I'm thinking the NVG is not in true bridge/passthrough mode. A quick google of the NVG and comparison to your screenshots tells me that. You would need to configure the IP passthrough page, and you currently don't have that configured. Your NVG and Orbi are probably both trying to act as DHCP servers. What are their IP addresses on your network?
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast

stereopathic
shadow

Post#14 » Thu May 24, 2018 3:44 pm

Ok, that was it! You were right, SEGA RPG FAN. I configured the NVG to passthrough to the Orbi and everything works great! The Orbi settings for DMZ work as expected now. It even works with the DreamPi plugged into the wifi adapter. Just had a match with three other people in fact.

Y'all have been a huge help. Thanks so very much. Hope to play with you very soon.

Just to quickly answer your question about bridging the NVG, I did it because I thought that's what I needed to do the use the Orbi. The NVG's wifi range couldn't service the house. I honestly didn't know I could just set up the Orbi as an access point. That sounds way easier.

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#15 » Thu May 24, 2018 6:44 pm

Glad you got it working! AFO is a lot of fun.
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast

Sega RPG

Post#16 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:35 pm

hi everybody, so this are the screens for my menues

as for the dmz menu abilita is enable, and as for the port menu we have 1 remote host 2 initial remote port 3 final remote port 4 local host 5 local port 6 name
Attachments
2019-02-01 00.28.08 192.168.1.1 821c30dd159d.png
dmz
2019-02-01 00.25.50 192.168.1.1 bb6e3ee28436.png
port mapping

Deathcyde
dark night

Post#17 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:44 pm

im also having issues im using a nighthawk xr500 router i got recently and not sure what to call the type of service to port forward im sure anyone using the dumaos would know what to do

ERVOSCV
Anarki

Post#18 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:01 pm

stereopathic wrote:What's happening is that I can join or create a game but almost immediately get a message saying I'm experiencing connection issues. Within seconds I'm logged off completely with a message saying I lost connection to the server.

I am having the same exact issue however, I am on wired connection, not wifi. When I create a game, the connection lasts about 20 more seconds than if I join a match - but both fail very quickly. I assumed it was a server issue or something, because I have never messed with my DreamPi, and it works great. I have only ever used it out the box with my Dreamcast, never connected it straight to a monitor.

A lot of nice info in this thread, thank you all. I'm gonna read this later on and attempt.