Why Do You Still Play Dreamcast?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
alexh86
lithium

Re: Why Do You Still Play Dreamcast?

Post#11 » Wed May 23, 2018 1:01 pm

I've always liked the Dreamcast though I'd never played it online until the middle of last year when I built a DreamPi. Shenmue/II is my all-time favorite video game so that has certainly helped its staying power with me as well. There are a lot of great offline games but being able to play online is what makes me play it on a more regular basis. I really like Phantasy Star Online, Chu Chu Rocket, Worms and Ooga Booga. I'd still play it now and then without that but being able to play with members of this community ensures the Dreamcast gets nearly as much play as my PS4 today.

lastcallgames
Vagabond

Post#12 » Thu May 24, 2018 2:25 am

I think one of the biggest reasons is how many great pick up and play arcade type games are on the thing. Sometimes I don't want to spend 15 hours straight (after an hour long system update, then another 30 minutes for a game patch because of some relatively trivial bugs someone found) on a game. I want to spend 10 minutes or so in Crazy Taxi.

Don't get me wrong, I still play my newer systems, Hydro Thunder Hurricane is really the game that would have come out in 1999 had the technology been there. I just love that with my older systems I don't need all the fussing about.

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#13 » Thu May 24, 2018 4:34 am

Because SEGA/Sonic Team told me to.
CEDC41b.jpg

"Playing SA2 is habit forming
Don't turn off your DC"

Green Ranger
killer

Post#14 » Thu May 24, 2018 6:13 pm

Because the Dreamcast still has a lot of great games to play and the homebrew community is active. :)

beanboy
Wazza

Post#15 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:00 pm

Because it has lots and lots, of good, cool, super fun games in all genres.
And I love playing them.

And in the case of 2d and 3d fighters, it has fun games like Powerstone, Project Justice, Vampire Chronicles aka Dark Stalkers, Marvel vs. Capcom 1 and 2, Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo, Plasma Sword, Fighting Vipers 2. Advanced 3d fighting games like Virtua Fighter 3tb, and we were even lucky to get, the best Soul Calibur game on it too. :D

ncman071
Sunday Shootout

Post#16 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:23 pm

I remember I got my DC in 2001. I was in college and could not believe my eyes when i played NFL 2k. Graphics and gameplay were unparalleled IMO by ANY system. Dreamcast epitomized everything I thought the potential of home console gaming was....online play....Even at 21 years old...i was mesmorized by the fact that i could actually sit in my college dorm and play against people on a home console thousands of miles away. It was just crazy. And that is what keeps me coming back every week