Dreamcast SD Card

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

AgentMomo
Prince of Persia

Dreamcast SD Card

Post#1 » Wed May 23, 2018 1:45 pm

I found this about sd card , possible to stick a console emulator on it and run roms with it ?

example

stick like a saturn emulator on it with a sub folder of saturn roms etc?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57g1MkoTBCQ

alexh86
lithium

Re: Dreamcast SD Card

Post#2 » Wed May 23, 2018 2:40 pm

The Dreamcast does have some emulators built for it and those tend to be one of the better use cases for these SD card readers since they don't need to often access the disc/SD card. I don't believe there are any Saturn emulators for the Dreamcast (someone can correct me if I'm wrong) but there are several emulators available for older consoles. You can also put actual Dreamcast games on these but unfortunately the access speed over the serial port is slower than the GD-ROM access speed. This means that many games perform very poorly because they're designed with the GD-ROM access speed in mind. You'll also need something like DreamShell to be able to access the data on the SD card. There are some neat things you can do with these though, primarily running homebrew apps and emulators.

AgentMomo
Prince of Persia

Post#3 » Wed May 23, 2018 6:17 pm

Yeah I mean with PS1 Games , perhaps it will be smart enough to save on the SD DISK game data from the memory card slot.

Simplebit
shadow

Post#4 » Thu May 24, 2018 12:25 am

yabause saturn emulator for Dreamcast, but can't support DC card reader, also it'a very very slow

AgentMomo
Prince of Persia

Post#5 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:53 pm

Cool ,

Yeah I was I could program this myself , but the idea that would be heavenly is

Take a USB HDD load it up with the Emulator of Choice , perhaps used a HARD DISC of the Game you want

and somehow have it SMART enough to use a SAVE FOLDER on the USB HDD Drive ,

Basically be like A USB BLEEM Stick :)

Otherwise have your Dreamcast with USB HDD act like your PC With a Emulator Running and Saving. :)

DR TEAMCAST
Uber

Post#6 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:47 pm

yeah snes, genesis, nes, msx2 (i created an ISO for SD card with metal gear 1 and metal gear 2 with docs about how to save to vmu). i don't think anyone actually tried the saturn emulator thing on sd card tbh
ImageImage
Forum for Dreamcast and Saturn browsers http://bb.dreampipe.net
Media, News, Events and more for your Sega Dreamcast internet browser at http://dreampipe.net

AgentMomo
Prince of Persia

Post#7 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:57 pm

DR TEAMCAST wrote:yeah snes, genesis, nes, msx2 (i created an ISO for SD card with metal gear 1 and metal gear 2 with docs about how to save to vmu). i don't think anyone actually tried the saturn emulator thing on sd card tbh

Cool to hear . All I know is seems like the fans always working on things to make Dreamcast this UNIVERSAL RETRO MACHINE , It's why I bought one before their is a official Nostalgia craze for it.