Replacement Dreamcast Thermal Pads!

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
TacT
Uber

Replacement Dreamcast Thermal Pads!

Post#1 » Sat May 19, 2018 3:41 pm

Dreamcasts are almost 20 years old now and its overdue to replace the thermal pads. Surprised the dc pads lasted this long.

Here are some decent replacements..

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6835186166

1.0mm Minimum- 1.5mm Recommended!
Cut to fit they come in a 50mm sheet or 145mm if you take your dc apart often I recommend getting the large sheet for extras.
Caution: Some pads are quite fragile like clay and can come apart especially if reused so be gentle.

(If these are unavailable to you I'm sure any other thermal pads that thick will do fine)

I have been using these pads for a few months and they seem to do a great job.

Don't forget to replace the Bottom pads underneath the motherboard too, they protect crucial components that are directly under the cpu and gpu they are very important. There is also a thermal pad in the gd rom drive you can try to replace that too.

Was going to post some pics but they're too big to upload? sol dc talk..

Keep your Dreamcasts cool and last forever!

it's still thinking.

TacT
Uber

Re: Replacement Dreamcast Thermal Pads!

Post#2 » Tue May 22, 2018 4:38 pm

wp_20180424_21_52_55_38yzz.jpg
wp_20180424_21_51_33_5qhtp.jpg
wp_20180418_11_24_40_4RHrt.jpg
wp_20180418_11_24_36_KyJU4.jpg
wp_20180418_11_24_31_l5Bvi.jpg
wp_20180418_11_22_25_AGlOF.jpg
wp_20180418_11_22_16_KXjs0.jpg
wp_20180418_11_22_12_YkswA.jpg

it's still thinking.

Revolt
noob

Post#3 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:01 pm

Why hasn't there been any responses to your topic?

It's actually something very important. I recently did a thermal pad-swap because of your topic. You encouraged me to make it. ;)

I did however a modification to your Thermal Mod. I used the thermal pads from your post (1,5mm thick as you recommended) but only on the bottom side of the motherboard. On the CPU / GPU I used a "24 carat diamond thermal compound" paste on both. After changing those goo-things they used on the Dreamcast, I noticed that the bottom got a lot hotter of the console (which is good since this means the heat comes out instead of keeping it in the console)

So I got rid of the "Laser in console, don't look inside the laser"-bla sticker to get more of the ventilation holes open (I think this is only on the PAL consoles...?)

Then I swapped the little plastic feet of the dreamcast with those: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00AJI ... UTF8&psc=1

So the Dreamcast has a wider opening on the bottom. Since I use the USB GDROM and I don't have the DreamPSU (yet, but it's preordered) my Dreamcast tends to be a lot hotter. So I *also* did the 300ohm resistor mod. Since then (your mod, my rubber feet idea) the Dreamcast is stone cold. And works like a charm. So if anyone thinks of changing the thermal pads - do it, you won't regret it. Technology has advanced in the past 20 years and those thermal pads / paste do magic to your consoles ;)

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Post#4 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:18 am

Great topic. I will look into this soon.

An idea would be to compile a master document for Dreamcast Maintenance and modifications. Maybe in a Word document and add to it as more things are discovered.
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart

TacT
Uber

Post#5 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:53 pm

Thought id post a little update and remind people its important to replace your thermal pads after this many years to keep your dc lasting forever!

I have had these pads in the dreamcast for a long time now and they have been working great they do keep the dreamcast cooler than before which is always good.

and as far as using thermal compound or paste in a large 1mm gap is not recommended without a shim to fill the gap but that can put unwanted and uneven pressure on the board which is not good. and thermal paste is only meant to fill very thin gaps and becomes more resistant the thicker the space is that's why they make thermal pads for larger applications.

also now that the dc's are reaching 20 years old I'll be looking into recapping motherboards they may need it one day.

Keep the dream alive forever!

it's still thinking.

Xiden
Developer

Post#6 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:01 pm

I need to get some ordered today :D

Figured something else that may be worth considering is recapping your Power Supply boards.
Found out that some drive failures may actually be due to bad power supply caps...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilhfndjs6ew&t

Retrojaner
dark night

Post#7 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:59 pm

Great idea! Pads on the bottom of the motherboard were partially crumbling...

Acrook
noob

Post#8 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:41 am

So the Dreamcast has a more extensive opening on the base. Since I utilize the USB GDROM and I don't have the DreamPSU (yet, however it's preordered) my Dreamcast will in general be significantly more blazing. So I *also* did the 300ohm resistor mod. From that point forward (your mod, my elastic feet thought) the Dreamcast is undeniable. What's more, has exactly the intended effect. checkout https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZbXrQV ... e=youtu.be

Trunks_o0
noob

Post#9 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:27 pm

Thank you @TacT for all the info I recently opened up my Dreamcast which I bought used awhile ago and it had no thermal pads !
Noob question, is there a specific side the pad should be placed on the chip ?