Do I have to use dreampi ??

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Chance_4x
rebel

Do I have to use dreampi ??

Post#1 » Fri May 11, 2018 4:31 am

I only have ah modem I can't just use that??

Roareye
Rank 9

Re: Do I have to use dreampi ??

Post#2 » Fri May 11, 2018 4:56 am

You can if you have a dial-up modem service from your internet service provider. You'll have to pay to have the line installed/maintained and pay per minute all the time you're connected online. The modem will not work with your home broadband service.

The reason people buy into a Dreampi are these;
- Most ISP's don't provide dial-up internet services anymore, not since about 2004/2005.
- The ISP's who do provide it charge extra for the line as you're buying a second service from them.
- Dial-up charges by the minute usually, so the longer you're online, the higher your bill will be.
- Dial-up disconnects your home phone line, so nobody can call in or out.
- The Dreampi can be built for a very low cost, using any modern iteration of the Raspberry Pi. The Pi Zero W is only £13 to buy!
- If you're no good with soldering and wiring (Like me), then I can recommend pcwzrd13's Shop page (click the word Shop in the menu bar) at dreamcastlive.net , he does an entire kit (including the Pi) or the tricky wiring work for the modem/line voltage inducer. I bought a PAL LVI from him in January. He's based in the USA, I'm in the UK, and he shipped to me within a week. I was super impressed, and the work he does is great. There are no doubt other people out there who do this work, but I don't have personal experience of them.
- Because of the parts and customised stuff, pcwzrd13's Dreampi kits are about $99.99, however if you source the parts yourself you can make it cheaper. It really isn't difficult at all. The LVI is doubtlessly the most difficult bit, which is why I bought it from someone who knows what they're doing :lol:
- The Dreampi software is incredible. It can self-update and it's pretty much as straight-forward and sticking the files on a micro-SD card and sticking it in the Pi.

While I understand your want for ease, just plug in the modem and away you go, the reality is the modem doesn't communicate with modern equipment well. That's why the Dreampi exists to begin with, to allow you to use your Dreamcast games via broadband. But believe me, I'm a total dunce when it comes to doing anything hardware related and I managed to build one within twenty minutes and it worked right away!

It may seem daunting, but overall it is really worth it. It'll save you money in the long run (dial-up can be expensive), and it's super easy to do. Just look into the parts you need (Not many) and see what option is best for you. Buying a full kit, or buying the parts in separately yourself.

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#3 » Fri May 11, 2018 8:32 am

Using real dial-up may be feasible if you live in the midwestern US, which has such spotty broadband coverage in remote locations that people do still use modems as their only form of Internet access. Some DSL providers also give you a certain number of free "back up" Internet hours where you can use a modem without additional charges. If you don't plan to play online more than however many hours per month you get for free, it can also be an option.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Post#4 » Fri May 11, 2018 11:28 am

Just get a DreamPi, Its effortless once you have it setup.
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Post#5 » Fri May 11, 2018 11:38 am

http://www.dreamcastlive.net/connection-guide.html

Connection Methods

DreamPi: Written Tutorial | Video Tutorial
Pros: Cheap, Easy to set up and use, Every game connects on the first attempt, Has Dreamcast Now which allows other players to see when you're online.

Cons: It's too awesome?

Netopia Method: Written Tutorial | Video Tutorial
Pros: No PC required after initial setup.

Cons: Can take multiple attempts to connect when playing Windows CE games (Starlancer, Maximum Pool, PBA Tour Bowling 2001, and 4x4 Evolution), Parts are expensive and hard to find, Fairly complicated to set up.

PC-DC Server: Written Tutorial (Virtual Machine) | Written Tutorial (Linux)
Pros: Possibly the cheapest method if you already have an old PC and modem lying around.

Cons: Complicated to set up, Can take multiple attempts to connect when playing Windows CE games like Starlancer Next Tetris, Maximum Pool, PBA Tour Bowling 2001, and 4x4 Evolution, Requires a PC to be on at all times and can be a pain to get connected.

Real Dial-Up
Pros: Easy to set up.

Cons: Slowest connection method, May not work with all games, Monthly fee.

Broadband Adapter: Video Tutorial
Pros: Fastest connection, Easy to set up.

Cons: Expensive, Only works with Phantasy Star Online, POD SpeedZone, Quake III Arena, and Toy Racer.

NeoSnk
Outtrigger

Post#6 » Fri May 11, 2018 2:28 pm

Tutorial I've wrote with help of the Dreamcast Online Brasil community.

https://titangamestudios.com/2017/06/19 ... st-online/

But like everyone has said, go with DreamPi!
For tutorials and homebrews access Titan Game Studios: https://titangamestudioscom.wordpress.com/
For interviews and gameplay support me on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/@NaiAdventure/featured