[USB GDROM] Troubleshooting & Firmware updates

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

aupton
shadow

[USB GDROM] Troubleshooting & Firmware updates

Post#71 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:34 am

I’ve reached out to MNEMO via email and Skype... Hoping he responds and can offer a solution as it’s highly suspect that the 9/5/17 firmware release has been problematic for at lease two of us in the same way.

I did update the date on my console this morning hoping that might have been the problem but unfortunately it had no effect.

GDI images that once worked now simply reboot the console and any attempts to reload the firmware cause the system to reboot into audio disc mode...

The whole purpose for updating the firmware was to see the updated boot menu iso since it never worked for me, the blue menu worked fine, should have stuck with that

Xiden
Developer

Re: [USB GDROM] Troubleshooting & Firmware updates

Post#72 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:47 pm

Mind showing a video on here of whats going on? Im curious what process you are doing.

aupton
shadow

Post#73 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:52 pm

I’m happy to report that I was able to resurrect my usb-gdrom through use of the supplemental directive file that enabled .gdi support. Apparently some pcb revisions require this after each firmware update as mentioned previously in this thread. My pcb is one of those and after adding the file to the root of the usb drive, upon successful on screen usb directory listing, the file added will enable .gdi loading functionality and will be automatically removed from the usb drive to prevent future update attempts.

@Robbie give this a try as well to see if it saves yours too.

Still have the ugly CGA style black and green menu though, but I’m thrilled to have it functional again.

Robbie
rebel

Post#74 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:39 am

Aupton I will give this a try. Thank you
Is the supplemental directive file the same as the special update file?

I'm very please to hear that you have now got your's working again Aupton.
I just hope this may fix my issue, You never know until you try. :mrgreen:

Robbie
rebel

Post#75 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:38 am

Right I just had a another go. When clicking on the USB-GD_fw-18-04-18(O).bin it will reboot into the music player. I have added the special update file to the root off the pen drive and it's still doing the same thing. After putting the Pen drive back into the Mac it's showing up with no usbgdbt.bin file. So it's doing something I guess.

In the usbgdbt.bin file readme file it says

1) put it to USB
2) turn on the console
3) GDI now working

Does it mean the file usbgdbt.bin to root or the folder of the special update
to the root with the file inside?

As I have tried with the file to root.

Thanks

Robbie
rebel

Post#76 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:10 am

F**k it I'm going to ask MNEMO for a new one.
I have tried very much everything to get it to work.
On his website it says warranty 50 years (if you buy it directly from me)
And I did buy it from him.

So I think I will take his offer up with this and ask him.

Thank you

Mechanic
Vagabond

Post#77 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:53 am

wow i was thinking of goin usb gdrom. Guess ill wait to for the cd rom drive to go bad 1st lol. If it aint broke don't fix it lol.
Italian Stallion

aupton
shadow

Post#78 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:04 pm

@Robbie - it’s a different file that is automatically read from the usb drive and automatically deleted afterwards. I’ll look into a way to post it here tomorrow.

Robbie
rebel

Post#79 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:17 pm

Thank you aupton.. I will give it a try :D

aupton
shadow

Post#80 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:46 pm

@Robbie - Sorry for the delay, I've attached "special update.rar". Extract this archive and place the "usbgdbt.bin" file on the root of your USB drive. Boot with the usb drive in the system and when you see the menu you should now be able to load a .GDI file.
Attachments
special update.rar
(353.27 KiB) Downloaded 312 times