Power smash online revival chances ?

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

petter3k
Developer

Re: Power smash online revival chances ?

Post#11 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:07 pm

Whiteysnakey wrote:
sgmx wrote:
Shuouma wrote:Hey

Power Smash has online, it uses similar server as Daytona.

Thanks for the info, then I guess this should be considered as a bad news :(

The good news is the game is pretty much identical to the other versions and is completely in english.

Only Network mode is missing from the menu of VT EU/USA. I actually wonder if the mode is still in the western version but just hidden from the main menu.

Unfortunately, that is not the case but was running on Solaris like other KAGE games.
http://www.dcserv.org - NOT up to date.
Will be online for educational purposes, for now.

Shuouma
Developer

Post#12 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:39 pm

Welcome back :)

dreamcast ™
undertow

Post#13 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:15 pm

Ditto. Here for a while?

carnage
shadow

Post#14 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:27 pm

Thought Id take a couple days from work - so hit me up both of you two! Pm, jabber, whatever :-)

dreamcast ™
undertow

Post#15 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:36 pm

PM sent to both accounts and always on Jabber :).

Chael
fire

Post#16 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:26 am

It was only online for 9 months in Japan. I wonder how good the netcode was.

But they kept Netto de tennis (capcom sports club) online till 2003 for some reasons, which was not even sold in stores.

colgate
Doom

Post#17 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:35 am

For power smash you had to buy a pass to play online. Shocking but lots of Japanese games required that.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

carnage
shadow

Post#18 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:38 pm

colgate wrote:For power smash you had to buy a pass to play online. Shocking but lots of Japanese games required that.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

The SegaNet service/ISP was not optional at the beginning either, requiring you to chose it as your ISP for online gameplay - hence the reason for still shipping Dreamkey 3.0/3.1's many years after the end of hardware production to let people enter their own ISP details. In Europe, we could not even get online until about 1 year later than American or Japanese people, in addition to being the last region to get the system released (of course AUS was even later...) Anyway, PlanetWeb 3 and XDP solved the issue.

Ultimately though, this was because of the PRE-KAGE and the rest of the TCP/IP isao.net systems like KAGE or KDDI - two different systems, the latter even being used on the PS2 instead of the American Sega SNAP. The first one to use a simple standardized network model (not KAGE though) was Chu Chu Rocket! on the Dreamcast.
So unfortunately, there are only a select few titles being able to be revived because of the PHYSICAL hardware needed to perform the type of phone-switching service that for example SEGA Rally 2 used in japan - and yes, it did have online play. Other challanges in reverse-engineering this stuff is the huge language barrier most non-Japanese struggle with and ultimately use alot of time just figuring out the menus of, etc.

So as long as the game is TCP/IP, and one "could get help from someone who knows Japanese or something like that", the games we are talking about *IS* not much different than the games that already are revived - and thus not any harder to do, BUT may still be very different as we see even in-between first(or second)-party titles in USA as well. A great example being Outtrigger vs Alien Front Online (although some similarities exist). AM2 games share the same code base and thus is not hard to do - if they both have been released in the same region.

Sadly, most of the fighting games used that old switching system to match up players...

On the Saturn, there even was an online RPG game that was released pretty late in the Saturn's lifespan even in Japan where the Saturn didn't do as bad as many believe. That game (because of the lack of remembering the title - or worse trying to spell it out) was released on the Japanese Saturn (non-Net-Link) Modem HSS-0127 / Victor RN-M141, which also required these pre-paid cards, rendering them practically useless today compared to the American Net-Link - but hey, it did work though. That particular service, the SegaSaturn Networks is of course useless today, but Net-Link is not. This seem to be a bit of a "cultural difference" between the two regions as this was common even for the peripherals enabling previous systems to use the XBAND service for P2P gaming. This however was the first own proprietary system in Segas history, which was ultimately based on what later was very similar to the early-Dreamcast online service in Japan.

Where to focus imo;

* Aero Dancing I & I S D
* The GuruGuru Onsen series
* The Sakura Taisen Online series
Last edited by carnage on Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sgmx
dirty sailor

Post#19 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:58 pm

Thanks for the detailed feedback, I found some conversations about this here: http://www.dcserv.org/?p=150
Chances are thin :(

carnage
shadow

Post#20 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:22 pm

Yeah.. I wrote that... A very long time ago.

( Ben & Jonas, did you not catch my drift earlier? Read again so I can help, dammit! ;-) )