I have never encountered anything like this before.

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Rockstarwxy
noob

I have never encountered anything like this before.

Post#1 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:44 am

I have purchased a brand new sealed copy of a game (Phantasy Star Online ver1) and when I go to play it, the Sega copyright screen comes up, it fades to white, and then it goes back to the Dreamcast menu. I have never encountered this error before, and there isn’t any guides online that covers this strange phenomenon. FYI: The SA2 Trial works just fine

Console Specs: white un-modified NTSC/US (0) console manufactured July 1999

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Re: I have never encountered anything like this before.

Post#2 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:53 pm

My first guess is dirty or scratched disc. Second is weakening laser. Third is disc rot (google it). Probably in that order for likelihood. All other games work OK?
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast

DR TEAMCAST
Uber

Post#3 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:46 pm

it could be a bad press. back in the dreamcasts hayday when i was a little kid we got a bad press of sonic adventure (sealed) we called support, they confirmed it was defective and sent us another

It happens, sometimes things are defective
ImageImage
Forum for Dreamcast and Saturn browsers http://bb.dreampipe.net
Media, News, Events and more for your Sega Dreamcast internet browser at http://dreampipe.net

Rockstarwxy
noob

Post#4 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:43 pm

SEGA RPG FAN wrote:My first guess is dirty or scratched disc. Second is weakening laser. Third is disc rot (google it). Probably in that order for likelihood. All other games work OK?

1 the disk is brand new, no scratches
2 when I got my Dreamcast, I had it inspected for defects. The person said that I had gotten lucky because there were no defects in any part of my unit including the laser. Apparently the person that I had purchased the unit from barely used it.
3 the disk shows no signs of disk rot

Nz17
St.Jimmy

Post#5 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:47 am

Try it on another Dreamcast.

Rockstarwxy
noob

Post#6 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:15 am

Nz17 wrote:Try it on another Dreamcast.

I don’t have another one, and i don’t need another one. The one I have now works perfectly (fine aside from the clock battery)

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#7 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:24 am

Without another Dreamcast to verify whether the disc or the system is bad, there's nothing you can do except to try adjusting the laser or buying another disc. You'll want to buy PSOv2 anyway since nobody plays V1, so you might as well try the V2 disc before you adjust the laser.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

Nz17
St.Jimmy

Post#8 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:39 pm

Hey Rockstar, I'm just trying to help. I never said you had to get/buy another one. You could theoretically borrow one, or go to someone's house with one, or go to a business with one, or go to a convention with one, or even send your disc to someone you trust to try it on his/her Dreamcast.

NeoSnk
Outtrigger

Post#9 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:48 pm

I have the same problem with my D2 GD-Rom, what I do to make it work is use Game Shark to boot it up. I don't know the reason why it happens. (The game is the same region of my console).
For tutorials and homebrews access Titan Game Studios: https://titangamestudioscom.wordpress.com/
For interviews and gameplay support me on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/@NaiAdventure/featured

WingMantis
dark night

Post#10 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:12 pm

NeoSnk wrote:I have the same problem with my D2 GD-Rom, what I do to make it work is use Game Shark to boot it up. I don't know the reason why it happens. (The game is the same region of my console).

Not even SEGA had DC game mastering quite figured out. A lot of games have been greatly improved (load times, reduced disc seek etc.) by the game ripping community. Sonic Shuffle being one example.

Return to “Support”